Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

The textbook answer is that you cannot have two investigations open at the same time. However, in the real world there appear to be exceptions.

The new one won’t ‘cancel’ the old one, but the second agency may just decide to wait til the first one completes. That’s the worst of all possible worlds. But read this thread, you’ll see a few folks who got a second investigation opened and completed before the first one finished.

Steady employment for 10 years, mild credit card debt and no issues with employment and/or law enforcement

I have only spoken to two people I put down as a reference since, and both of them were not contacted.

I see. Thank you so much for the comment.

Two background investigations at the same time… this contributes to the background investigation log jam.

1 Like

Well congratulations, that’s awesome.

Ten months to schedule for a poly? That seems like a long time. Maybe they are really backed up and that is why it is taking a long time.

I would contact your senator. My senator has helped me out so much!

Hey guys, haven’t posted since July and kind of wanted to follow up. Submitted my SF86 in April of 17. Found out in July that I got turned down for my Interm and haven’t heard anything since. They have not checked my credit and none of my references have been contacted other than the employers getting a questionnaire. I’m getting a little worried though because friends of mine who have been working on the DOD side of contracting for years have told me that prior DUIs are resulting in getting denied from some people which I have one from three years ago. It was a misdemeanor. Should I start to worry? Thanks in advance.

It’s true, some people get denied for that but it is not the biggest issue that people face if you look at the statistics. Other people have DUIs in their background and do get cleared. If it was from three years ago and nothing since, that helps to mitigate the concern

From reading these forums, some people get in trouble because they don’t list the initial charge of DUI. Maybe they went to court and ended up with reckless driving, so they don’t list the DUI… but it is still there as far as the investigation is concerned. This may become an issue of itself because it looks like they’re trying to conceal the DUI. Hopefully this does not apply to your case.

Sometimes the credit check they do doesn’t show up in credit reports. Sometimes they check different references from the ones you listed on the forms.

Yes it is an agonizing process, but try not to worry. These things are taking a long time.

1 Like

I am going on 16 months to schedule a poly…so don’t get too antsy.

I submitted SF86 in June 2017, got credit pulled in July, current/former employees received letters in August, Interim deferred in August and nothing since then. At what point should I escalate it to my senator/congress rep?
I am in Northern Virginia area, Living and working in USA for 8 years, Became citizen 3 years ago.
Thanks

From what Ive heard and read you should wait till its over a year before contacting them.

I’m glad you answered that as I had the same question. Thanks!

I would contact your Senator ASAP. I contacted my senator in November of last year and didn’t hear anything back until a month later on December 1st. My senator was able to contact OPM. OPM sent a letter saying they would expedite the remaining of my clearance. OPM contacted me on December 26 and my interview was scheduled for January 08, 2018. The interviewer said it would take about three weeks to submit my paperwork.

So in essence do not listen to people when they say you have to wait at least a year. Day 313 and counting.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2017/08/08/can-writing-congressman-speed-security-clearance/

1 Like

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted their timeline because it seriously gave me the help I needed in determining an ideal frame of time.
Secret Clearance
12/18/2017 Fingerprints and equip completed
01/17/2017 Interim granted
I am not prior military, no prior secret/TS clearance, no criminal offenses, low credit card debt besides student loans (pretty high), and a lot of traveling in the last 2-3 years. I will update once my clearance is completed.

You are the small minority that has seen a Interim within 30 days. Congrats!

Three years ago is good, you have some time since the incident. I wouldn’t worry, you may see some delays but I wouldn’t stress about getting denied.

Been reading this and looking at information for awhile now so I thought I would add my info.
waiting on a GS TS Clearance
Accepted offer 8/16
Submitted Equip 9/16
Personal Interview 3/17

Sitting on 492 days…