Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

@Tim, when you sign the privacy act form, did you fill out the case number of OPM for your case? I am curious whether you had the case number.

Did not have my case number but I am sure it can only help if you know yours.

Hey all, update from my previous post; I called the OPM FOIA line yesterday (May 23) and they told me my investigation had closed and was sent back to my agency for adjudication on April 17. So hopefully the long wait for the T5 will all be over soon. I’ll update when it finally gets adjudicated.

Not to bust your bubble, but mine has been in adjudacation since 8 Febuary and that is considered not long, some on here have been in adjudacation for a year or more.

How long have you been waiting?

Adjucation more like aggravation phase. Have patience everyone at least that’s what I was told :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Investigation started in April 2017, Subject interview in May 2017. Final character reference was interviewed in January 2018. Luckily I got Entry on Duty authorized by my agency before the investigation finished, so I haven’t been sitting here waiting to start the job; but I can’t access all the systems I need to work independently.

Thanks for reply! I was just curious cause I don’t have one either.

Wow! Congrats and well-deserved! So you called two different congresspersons? That’s good! And how did you do the FOIA status check? Does that involve filling out a form?

You give us so much hope!

Congratulations sir, it is a satisfying and relieving feeling.

I accepted my CoE and submitted my SF-86 in April 2015 (TS/SCI with IC). I’ve had BI interviews, references and non references contacted, poly’s, psych, credit pulled, all of that stuff done over the years. Today, I just submitted and mailed off a letter to my senator. I can’t get anything other then “still in the process” from my PoC. I know this may not help anything at all, but it’s also important to let those in power know that the system needs working. Even if it’s a “Hey, you’re in adjudication” message back, I’ll at least know where I stand in the process. It’s great seeing that some of you are getting through. Best of luck to those still waiting. Keep on posting your updates!

My Secret Clearance finally came through. My timeline:

Actually applied for the job: Some time in June 2016
Interviewed for the Position: August 10th, 2016
Tentative job offer: August 24th, 2016
Actually submitted SF-86: September 1st, 2016 (approximate)
Investigation Opened: October 12th, 2016

—Madness—

I finally decide to send a letter to my Senator’s office: September 1st, 2017.
I have no idea if the letter makes any difference, but two months later I finally hear from a human being.
Interviewed for clearance: November 13th, 2018 (takes roughly an hour and fifteen minutes, mostly affirming everything I wrote on my SF-86.)
Late December 2017: A job reference at a former employer texts me to let me know that he spoke with an investigator.
And now for a brief comedy of errors:
Late January 2018: I get a phone call from my investigator, asking me if I’d be willing to fill out a form giving them permission to speak with a psychiatrist who had previously given me a prescription for antidepressants. They note that they have already spoken with this person, and my filling out the form isn’t strictly necessary. Of course by this point I am willing to hop through any form presented to me, and I wind up meeting my investigator and filling out the form in the parking lot of a Fuddruckers.
Late February 2018: I am told that I need to redo the form, because I signed the date in 2017 rather than 2018.
April 30th: Clearance is granted.
May 29th: I actually get a phone call from the hiring agency, asking if I still want the job and telling me that my clearance is granted.

Again this is a for a direct hire accounting job with the DoD and a Secret clearance.

The terminology you’re using I know which agency you have applied for and just know that there are others like you out there with the same wait time or longer. Keep the faith, the decision will come!

1 Like

Problem is that sometimes the decision doesn’t come. And that’s what’s concerning to me. I have read of several instances in which folks waited for 2-3 yrs and then received an email stating that the agency has stopped processing their cases. So my concern is whether some files are placed in a not-interested-pile, where it just languishes, with the intent to never actually process the case.

That would be upsetting indeed, I wonder what agencies were doing this. I just read one recently about a guy applying for something through the DOS.

Yeah that is lucky! My investigation started May 2017 and I haven’t been interviewed nor have any of my references. It has pretty much been silence for a year with no interim either.

That happens?! That is very very concerning.

Used to be much more common with agencies like CIA and NSA, particularly for contractors. The employer would submit a packet on someone and never hear anything again. But I don’t think it happens as much anymore, though there have been some stories on here of the three year wait before the email saying that they were not going to continue.

I called FOIA Hotline & Congressman Office for Status Check.

UncleSam, any movement for you?