Can I apply for dual citizenship with Ireland? I have a Secret clearance.

I have an existing Secret security clearance. Given that SEAD 4 changes the foreign preference guidelines, can I apply for dual citizenship with Ireland (my grandparents are Irish)? My FSO will not give me a “yes” or “no” answer. ClearanceJobs seems to think I can based on this blog post:

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2017/05/24/new-dual-citizenship-guideline-security-clearance-eligibility/

What do you all think?

What is your purpose in swearing allegiance to a second country? Will you draw benefit financially, be able to own property? I am sure there are benign reasons with little to no threat. And I know there is plenty of nefarious reasons people wish to swear allegiance elsewhere. It is a fascinating scenario. I can see potential for a Secret or Confidential cleared person to make this work. However the TS, and SCI or poly program may be more difficult despite the writing specifically claiming an SCI may be easier to obtain. I have a person who recently naturalized to the US from Germany and he previously served in the German army. 10 months later he is still pending for a Secret clearance. I would predict a slow process to clear and a need to reveal motivations. If all is clear, clean and no threat it is possible. I will not say it is probable. Uphill climb for sure. Please do keep us posted on how this works out. And make sure it isn’t concealed in any manner.

My motivation is that I like to travel, and it makes travel within the EU a lot easier. Just to be clear, I already have an existing Secret clearance. I have not applied for dual citizenship yet, I am simply considering it. If it would cause me to lose my security clearance, I would not proceed with it. I am trying to research it now, since my company’s security department is not able to give me a clear answer.

I think this can be filed under the “feasible, not advisable” department. Hence why your FSO doesn’t want to say yes or no. It really isn’t up to them and you will see more experienced people give an equally unsatisfying answer of “it depends.” I know that isn’t what one wants to hear. Can it put a clearance at risk? Yes. Is this guaranteed? No. Is it a problem you likely don’t need? I would go with yes. How often do you travel making it more worthwhile to avoid customs border clearance hassle vice having your loyalty to the US questioned? Let’s assume you have a great vacation plan and get 5 weeks vacation, travel for all of it. Is it worth risking what makes up the remaining 47 out of 52 weeks of your life?

Analogy: my RV gets 6 mpg. I studied feverishly to figure out what might get me 9 mpg. Thousands of dollars were required. I would never come close to recouping the savings in gas cost. Ever. That pretty much ended that research project for me. I travel maybe 6 or 8 times a year. So I put up with crappy mileage 6 to 8 times a year instead of invest thousands I would get zero return on. For the record, no it wasn’t me in the left lane tolling along at 50 MPH in front of you. I learned I can go 70 and still get 6 mpg.

If I were you, I wouldn’t mess with the Guideline C on 13 adjudicative Guidelines.

I like your analogy. lol … I still can’t justify for a hybrid car for this very same reason. Becoming US citizen from a 3rd world country, I wonder why you would go through the hassle of obtain an EU citizenship just to ‘easy’ travel when the US passport can literally get you almost anywhere in EU that a citizenship of Ireland would get.

The question you have to ask yourself is why risk it? Gaining another citizenship is something you have to disclose and most likely would slow down a PR. Remember the people adjudicating clearance are just that people not machines. I would suggest giving them as little issues as you could making the whole process smoother for yourself.

My advice is 100% don’t do it. I have dual citizenship with an EU country and–although permitted by adjudicative guidelines–is always a colossal PITA with FSO’s and government contractor recruiters who will choose to stay ignorant and maintain that it’s impossible to proceed with a Dual Citizenship.

In fact, I’m in the process of rescinding my other citizenship because I just don’t want deal with all the added burden and there’s literally zero day-to-day benefit of having the other citizenship.