Clearance crossover issues

If you have access to FBInet at your work location, find your division/section/unit org charts and contact people up the chain until someone can help you find someone who can do this lookup for you.

If all else fails, call 1500, tell them you need to report a security violation but don’t know who to talk to about it. That will get the attention of the right people. :smiley: Seriously, though, SecD should be able to help you if all else fails. See if they have a help desk…or call 1500 to see if they can find a contact.

To think the preeminent spy agency and law enforcement agencies of the US will “fax” anything and accept as golden. Sigh.

Anytime a new BI is opened, and I’ve been told a new SF86 submitted…that info…even if it is your relative page…has not been vetted by a certified adjudicator. One charged with weighing evidence and pronouncing “Go/No Go.” As absurd as it sounds, and is, anyone opening an initial investigation…and seeing it through to adjudication ends the issue. I find it absolutely ludicrous, particularly if you are in access, badged, and actively working. Sometimes the simple things aren’t so simple. Even senior agency officials use the term “unadjudicated info” like a scary boogeyman. Ifn I were King/Queen/ruler of all thongs clearance…I would end that practice. Show me negative or questionable info uncovered? Absolutely vett and wait. Show me empty data points? Sorry, not happening. Is it a slight risk tradeoff? Yes. Aren’t all life decisions like that? Is that not the difference between leadership and management? That each agency runs it’s own internal clearance systems marked “FBI Eyes Only” or CIA, DNA, whatever…they don’t trust each other. I wonder if we should trust them?

1 Like

Tried crossing from FBI employee to DoD contractor. Never worked after 6 months despite people internally saying they saw it on SC and my company saying they were handling it. I gave up and left when they said they wanted to do a new TS/SCI.

How about DoD to FBI? Any issues there?

I’m crossing my fingers that a company will sponsor me then–I have a few ideas, but who knows at this point. Thanks for all your help!

Do you know if a re-investigation by my current employer would clear this up? I’m not due to start one for another 2.5 years, but if nothing works currently and I can’t find a company willing to sponsor me for a new clearance, I’d like to know if there’s a light at any end of the tunnel.

What did you do after you gave up? Just left the clearance world altogether?

Don’t hold your breath on your five-year happening at five years. There was a large backlog when I left. My division had people that hadn’t been reinvestigated in 8 or 9 years. I was told right before I left that I wasn’t even remotely near being put in the queue and I was right at six years since my last BI.

The coronavirus isn’t making things any faster, I imagine, either.

I think it would. Right now it seems so.eone opened a BI. Once opened, none of that was adjudicated, even if it was just your name. A re investigation should take precedence and gather all information, including the unadjudicated info, get it adjudicated, and give thumbs up or down.

The clearance nonsense just pissed me off too far for me to stay. I work in engineering which has plenty of work cleared or not. I was doing uncleared stuff at the company, even though they brought me in to do cleared work, but I left for greener grass. I

I can chime in from personal experience here. I tried crossing over before a new BI with my current agency, and after the BI was complete (I had a super speedy BI that took 3 months). Still got hit with unadjudicated info when I tried crossing over.

That seems to indicate a collection of info post BI. Developed or reported info, or continuous evaluation. I know when I pushed adjudicators to explain it deeper…they clammed up and took the position I was asking “specific incident info” on a candidate. That was nonsense, but it was like a script they followed. I know I pushed too far several times and got that line. Fascinating.

Thank you for everyone’s contributions, you’ve all really helped to broaden my understanding of how this process works (however randomly and seemingly without reason at times.) I’ll definitely update if I have any news and please feel free to post more if you think of anything else that might help!

I had the same issue. My arose from having a FS poly in JPAS and SC BUT, it was never “adjudicated”. Not sure why an “unadjudicated” poly would be in any system, but it was and was affirmed by some agencies that it was adjudicated and told by others that it was not. It realky is a bad system and leaves a person in limbo. In clearances, you hace to accept that noone knows it all and there really does seem to be no regulated practice or policies that go for all agencies. I know it’s shitty news, but ot’s been my bad experience and sounds like yours.

1 Like

The security process on some levels is a systematic failure. It gets most people through but at a cost of placing many good people in tough situations with no clear path forward. I believe that’s part of the reason why there is such a big push to revamp the process.

1 Like

That sounds odd… I didn’t think they would even put a polygraph date in JPAS unless it was “successful.” Anyway it sounds like yet another messed up situation that will be very difficult and time-consuming to resolve.

unless…one withdrew from processing post poly. I’ve seen that requested several times. I find it best to let them roll. But withdrawal of processing should remove the investigation. The IC community in particular is very close hold on how they treat stuff. They get care blanche to do as they desire. There is limited ability to force an answer from them.

There was a program where they put a bunch of people in for SCI requiring a full scope, folks who did not have SCI previously. Several people stopped their processing after our CSSO got an unofficial/infomal/you-didn’t-hear-this-from-me heads up that things were not looking good and if they got turned down for SCI they might lose their collateral clearance also. Sometimes this was after the poly, sometimes not.

1 Like

Had a few of those Secret Squirrel! Since there was no threat to national security, more technically disqualifying due to knowing how certain board members voted…we would withdrawl package.

1 Like

Hey Amberbunny question for you. Let’s say an individual is attempting to crossover to a 3 letter agency in VA as a contractor. The crossover is denied due to “unadjudicated info”. This is possibly due to the fact that this individual has a current government application in with the same agency, and has already submitted the SF86 to them. If this individual withdraws the gov application and tries to crossover as a contractor again, do you think it would go through? Assume this individual already has the required clearance and poly