Current DCSA Workloads

I hate this situation for us all I was starting to feel like this was only happening to me in my area.

2 Likes

Sideshowbob…I was hired by Perspecta two years ago and was told the same thing. Little to no work in Sierra VIsta, AZ (and a medium size Army base) since the end of November. I wonder how long this will go on. I imagine after 3/4 months with no work, those that need a paycheck will be forced to find other work. Then what? DCSA will open the taps but there will not be any Investigators to do the work? Then another back log. Does anyone know how or if military clearances are being done now? Are there any more T3Rs or T5Rs? Lots of questions…

1 Like

Most of the mil re- investigations are going in to Continued Evaluation so no work to be done by FI’s. The Industry is over staffed and will have to rebuild itself to meet work demands. I expect a major shake up and rebuild when the prime contracts expire later this year. HOLD ON TIGHT! it’s going to be a very bumpy ride…

3 Likes

@MREXTER Are you a 10-99 IC or F/T hourly at Ft Huachuca? If you aren’t receiving work at a big military installation like Ft Huachuca then that is a major RED FLAG! I’ve TDY’s to Ft Huachuca in the past. Always had tons of work there.

2 Likes

@IHateRZs

Are you a 10-99 IC or F/T hourly at Lackland AFB? Are F/T hourlies receiving work at Lackland AFB? If you aren’t receiving work at a big military installation like Lackland AFB then that is a major RED FLAG! There has always been tons of work in San Antonio. Must be because of telephone TESI’s and reinvestigations in CE status.

1 Like

I think what I believe to be a very concerning sign and a MAJOR red flag for DCSA contractors and F/T hourly contractors with the three vendors is if Investigators cannot even stay busy on big military installations like Lackland AFB and Ft Huachuca, AZ we are on more than a bumpy ride. We are all heading for the unemployment lines.

1 Like

Duetoooversight…Yes, IC at Ft. Huachuca. Yes…there is something going on. Not sure what, but there is a red flag…

1 Like

The current state of the program is baffling and very frustrating to say the least. My company has not had a All Hands call since late fall or communication from the Regional Manager and the silence is unsettling. I have close to 20 years on the contract and am being treated as if I started yesterday. I firmly believe the experienced investigators are being driven out of the business to lower cost; it is very apparent in my area, we are those receiving minimal to no work. Investigators in my area that were barely hanging on are the individuals receiving the work; there is more to how the work is being assigned than what we are lead to believe. Field Managers know more of what is going on than we are lead to believe. We are continually being punched in the gut but asked to hang on. I don’t want to throw in the towel because I have a good chunk of my life invested in this business. I just want to be told the truth about our future.

5 Likes

You will never be told the truth about your future from any vendor in this industry. I don’t know why people are waiting for DCSA or the vendors to tell us something. Isn’t the writing already on the wall? All of us have to seriously take a look at something else. It’s hard to do after 20+ years invested in this industry as a Background Investigator. We have a unique niche and skill set which isn’t valued amongst the private and public sector. For some of us that means unemployment for a period of time, additional education to obtain needed skills, or completely leaving this industry for some other industry. Vendors don’t care about Background Investigators (even if they say they do). Look at the vendors actions and not what they are or are not saying. Unfortunately nobody owes us nothing and the vendors certainly will always do what’s in their best interests so all Investigators should do what’s in their best interests.

12 Likes

The Vendors will say how important you are so you will stay and stay credentialed and ready for cases all the while you are not being paid. They encourage you to seek a part time job until things straighten up but when you do get a few random cases they will shove timeliness and quality down your throat and fully expect you to drop the part time job, which is your lifeline, to complete these few cases and then it’s back to nothing. Every other week for the all call, it’s the same thing, “ 2020 is bright but it’s going to be a few months”. That is repeated every other week since September. The Vendors need you only because you are current and ready to work, that is all! When you reach the point where you can’t keep waiting and find another job, they drop you like the plague and don’t even have the courtesy to say “Thanks! We understand.” ISN, CACI, Perspecta, SCIS care NOTHING about YOU, just your badge number and their ability to count you in their books. START LOOKING FOR THAT NEW JOB! DCSA is going to shock the industry when all the Vendor prime contracts come due later this year. Don’t be fooled or you’ll be looking for a job in October regardless…

11 Likes

Or any other . . . I have about 35 years in IT and I have seen the same thing over and over there as well. “The company is doing great!” . . . “We have no plans to sell!” . . . “We just sold the company to a competitor but all of you will be fine!” . . . “We really sorry but your position is overstaffed because of the acquisition and we have to let you go . . .”

7 Likes

Sounds about right Ed.

1 Like

In Northern Texas, there is very little to no work for Contract and “full time” employee investigators eg; Perspecta, CACI and the other contractors. There is one to two items for alternate or other contracts (not DCSA). Reading the DCSA website shows that they are implementing a continuous process at the end of January 2020, meaning only when there is “an issue” will an investigation be done. Looks like investigators that do not work directly for DCSA (federal investigators) will not be getting any work. I had steady work until January 2020.

1 Like

Yep…the classic NBIB overworking cases in the past. Now the ones who actually PAY for these investigations are questioning the reason why they are paying for an Investigator to visit their office and conduct a TWO HOUR interview (Re-Investigation T5R )(including Sources) and question why the Subject did not list a home phone…when they don’t have a home phone, or why they did not list prior investigations from the 1990s, or what County they were married in…or how they can attend an online college while working full time… Then do full issue resolution on a $16 parking ticket from 4 years ago that Subject listed on the form or a verbal counseling for being 5 min late 6 years ago. Most of these re-investigations are a total waste of time. If there were problems with an employee, the the Sources interviewed would have already notified their Security Office. Unfortunately, someone finally figure this out and now we are out of work.

11 Likes

While the Directors of the contract and the CEOs are still paid a salary; a salary that WE were able to provide them, Investigators are laid off or required to take paid (if you have the time left) or unpaid leave. Again, I wonder if TOP leadership (I am not talking about the TLs) I am talking about the overabundance of every director in every department AND the CEO had to take unpaid leave?

1 Like

DSCA does not care about the Contractors/Investigators who are NOT federal employees. They know how the companies treat their investigators through the years: unrealistic expectations, unrealistic metrics; multiple T5’s with multiple items with only a couple of weeks to complete with 1 or more hours of drive time each way, 3 hour Subject interviews with 4 hours to type a report which is mostly filled with non adjudicative information due to the fact that the Subject’s don’t know what to list or what not to list, forgetting to list residence, education and employments, listing tickets that are not required to be listed or financial accounts not required to be listed (on the SF85 that we need to confront anyway). Not changing ACDs even if missing the deadline is beyond your control, but you have to answer for it later. It’s an abusive environment. Your TL asking you 3 days in a row about why your cases are late on the same case she has been asking about for 3 days straight, having to provide the same reason 3 days in a row. Although some investigators do not have work in some areas, some areas are overworked “still”. I don’t mean to be callous (for those who don’t have work), I am talking about the passed as well. My advice to all is to broaden your skills, take a few classes (in IT), get certifications and get out of this blood sucking industry. Yes, we all got pigeon-holed into this job because we hate the go to the office jobs from 9 to 6, stuck at a cubicle, I get it. But all of the companies that employee us are blood sucking, suck the life right out of you. TLs are nothing but baby-sitters as they have no autonomy do make many decisions. They have to follow the guidance. Don’t get me wrong, I am not disgruntled, I am just stating facts and I am sure most investigators will agree with what I am saying. It’s not the job that is the issue, the job itself is important. It’s the companies we have all worked for through the years that are abusive due to the fact that they enter into unrealistic contracts with the fed gov and expect us to work miracles and get a priority T5 case completed in 1 week. Rushing cases is not in the best interest of National Security, it is only a matter of time someone will slip through the cracks because your company doesn’t want you to wait that extra day for a Source for sake of “metrics”. This industry should NEVER have been handled by the private sector in the first place, for CEOs and shareholders it’s about PROFIT-Profit and National Security do NOT go together. My idea was that DCSA should appoint Contractor Liaison’s that deal with the Contract investigators directly. DCSA pays the Contractors a fee and we answer directly to DCSA. DCSA/fed gov would save millions and would still get quality investigations from all of us that work extremely hard!

7 Likes

Excellent analysis, truly on point!

2 Likes

I heard a rumor about cutting out the middle man (contract company management) and having Investigators deal directly with DCSA but nothing has come of it.

HI RB22, I heard the same thing not too long ago. I believe that will be more cost effective for DCSA (which in retrospect, American tax dollars).

1 Like

IC in San Antonio near 3 bases. Of 3 other ICs I spoke to last month m, 2 hanging on w no work and third out of field. I have no work here in 4 months