face to face meetings to get foot in the door

Since I’m trying to get my foot in the door to become a background investigator, I’ve been looking for career fairs or any type of hiring event, and I can’t seem to find anything other than a career fair in Minneapolis in late August. The problem is it is a military career fair and I’m not military. Is there anyway to meet with a recruiter of a company and just get some face to face time? I really want a job in this, but once you apply online and play the waiting game, it can be easy after a month of not hearing anything to get impatient and think you’re not being proactive enough to help with the process. Any advice? Or should I just be patient and wait it out.

I would say go on Linkedin and do a search for the four contractors(i.e, Prospecta, CACI, GDIT, SCIS) and even sub contractors(i.e, ISN, 1Force, etc). Look for recruiters there and connect with them.

1 Like

I went on linkedin and connected with a few recruiters plus some employees. One lady I spoke to loved her group and couldn’t say nicer things about them, so that’s a good sign. Is messaging the recruiters on linkedin a little too forward, or is connecting with them a good enough sign of good faith?

1 Like

I wouldn’t think thay reaching out to them if youve applied woukd be too forward.

1 Like

Thank you. I get nervous because on job pages it says “don’t contact recruiters too earnestly, they might rule you out if you look desperate” or “watch how you phrase what you want on your cover letter”, ect. I guess I shouldn’t worry as much; I’ll contact the recruiters and see what they have to say.