Investigator Productivity Ideas/Tips

Are you a fed or contractor?

Thanks for that real truth. As I enter this field, I will do one thing that I have always done in the past. Run from the Bitter Betty’s and disgruntled employees. They bring nothing constructive nor helpful to my universe so I choose not to be around them. I received the same advice when I got married…only hang out with truly happy couples. It makes a difference. I do realize that venting is a normal and healthy occurrence however the jaded people are who I run from.

1 Like

if it matters, I’ve been both a contractor and a fed. The advice is the same for both.

2 Likes

@backgdinvestigator Well let me ask you this… Which side of the spectrum do you think is better? Contractor company, Self Employed Contractor or Fed?

1 Like

That is a hard one. The contractor side was really good, different contracts, good pay when you are with a good company, but I was forced to switch (I was part of the USIS implosion) and my next employer really had field leader problems. I was going to become an independent, but my situation is different than most (retired pay, didn’t need benefits, and no debts) but then a Fed position opened up and I applied. Even with the pay cut, working as a Fed has been great - similar to working with USIS when it was in the good days. I am exceeding production standards (and get attaboys vs what have you done for us this week) and doing very well.

There are a lot rules on both sides but nothing that really makes one side better than the other. I like the Fed focus on investigating for cases that expand. I never have to fight with deadlines as long as I am exceeding production metrics.

Contractors have more freedom with vehicle use, overtime, and daily work schedules than the Feds. There are two contracting companies I could work for and would’ve if I had not jumped to the Fed side.

One day I will retire from being a full-time Fed and will probably be a part-time independent until I give it for forever.

3 Likes

@Mwhite you have the right idea, take in the good and ignore the bad. You’ll know who’s squared away and who’s not. The job is what you make it. Time management will be key. As far as which side of the spectrum is better, in my opinion, I would say the Fed side for a few reasons. You’ll get a lot of mixed opinions and form your own once you start talking to Fed investigators you meet and get to know. Here are mine:

1. It’s a federal position. I have 10 years of prior military service that I could buy back.

2. More pay on the long end. Some investigators have been doing this long enough to where they could not take the initial cut in pay for GS7 rate. I’ve only been doing this for two years.

The guy who trained me when I first started has since gotten picked up on the fed side and I know a few of the NBIB guys/gals in my area. All I can is that it seems as if the case load is not as heavy, re-opens are not as numerous. I may be wrong, but, I don’t think the federal investigators have fully taken on tiered case types yet. Those T3’s can be a mess!

I am in no way complaining as I interviewed for a position in my area last month :slight_smile:

But…back to the tips. Anymore tips?

1 Like

I spent time as a contractor and then became a fed. I prefer being a fed for several reasons.

1. The government vehicle.
  2. No shareholders.
  3. Less time spent doing admin tasks.
  4. Reporting seems to make more sense and reopens are less frequent.
  5. Dedicated office space on base.
  6. The reviewers seem happy too (residual effect).

I’m fortunate that I have a wonderful SAC and I work on a sweet spot. I was never unhappy as a contractor, but I had limited earning potential due to the type of output they require in order to make the good money.

FYI- Feds definitely work tiered cases (yes those sucky T3).

2 Likes

Dedicated office… mmmmm…

2 Likes

I know… I’ve seen those during TDYs. We have two major installations at my normal station but they closed the DSS offices as soon as the investigators went OPM.

The only real advantage I’ve found for a dedicated office is having and interview space available 24/7.

1 Like

My area desperately needs one

The SAC in my area now has an actual office space on post. The area I work in is a HUB zone. the contractor I work has an office in the local area. The PM lets us use the conference room whenever we have a subject who doesn’t already for for an agency or contractor.

Does anyone here know if OPM only hires around the DC or VA area? I’d love to go Fed eventually.

I got word this week from a client who works contract DOD, that they were setting up an office in her building for the investigators. Im fully assuming that this is for the feds. With that said, would contractors be able to use that same office if we had business within that same building?

OPM is primarily around DC area. NBIB is nationwide.

1 Like

No matter how small, always CYA.

1 Like

Leads, leads, and more leads, then disclaim.

For every component, ask the subject for leads and don’t stop asking. Case type and issues will determine how many sources are needed, but don’t stop at two or three leads. All too often a source won’t be available, won’t cover the entire time, or won’t talk about issues. Getting as many knowledgeable sources is crucial.

Secondly, communicate those leads. Depending on which contractor you work for or if your fed, you’ll either have to report them in the report or send a case message. I say do both and CYA.

Lastly, disclaim that subject was asked and couldn’t provide any additional leads for A, B, C, and D. As a reviewer, it drives me crazy having to reopen a good report because the investigator failed to obtain and share leads. Seeing that disclaimer closes the door.

2 Likes

@backgdinvestigator, .you mention that “There are two contracting companies I could work for and would’ve if I had not jumped to the Fed side.”. Would it be ok to ask which two contracting companies?

I prefer not to say as it then sounds like an endorsement.

I happen to have directly worked for two of the VPs for two of the contracting companies. I trust their integrity.

2 Likes

How often are TDYs? What is expected during these temporary duties. Are you there to help investigators in the area with their cases? Is a vehicle provided or do you have to rent one?

TDYs locations and frequency vary - if you fly to your TDY location, you normally rent a vehicle. TDY or detailing means you become a temporary investigator in that area. You are given your own workload to work and close.

I like going TDY and travel three to four weeks three to four times a year. Sometimes less, rarely more.