Investigators vs. Coronavirus

So the governor of Louisiana just canceled all K through 12 schools until mid April. All colleges closing, telling students to move out, classes online only, all of my major city’s upcoming festivals and activities including conventions are cancelled or rescheduled to the Fall. I’ve been keeping my son home since Wednesday anyway out of abundance of caution. But as for my area, the snowball effect closures continue. I began stockpiling food and other necessities about a month ago to get ahead of the current shortages in stores. Pandemic Spring Break 2020 my teenagers are calling it. March is cancelled. Argghhh…

Funny how this didn’t happen with the swine flu…

1 Like

Agreed! I am not sure why “now” the media is causing people to become hysterical. There were also cases of Ebola during the previous administration (and the swine flu like you stated). No one closed schools, offices, etc

Well Ebola was different, it wasn’t a virus that you could catch easily. It was by bodily fluid transmission, close contact. There were very few cases in the U.S.
I do agree with the closures and reducing social contact, it will help. China and Italy were late to realize what they should have done, then it was just too late to stop it.

My TDY was cancelled. Hearing big changes may be coming down on Monday. My guess is a liberal use of phone and VTC but who knows.

3 Likes

Wellll, we need some answers sooner rather than later. We heard guidance was supposed to come yesterday. I am probably going to postpone scheduled interviews until we get guidance as a precaution.

1 Like

We received updated guidance yesterday to continue on. If subjects and sources are too nervous to meet or are sick we have to report back to see if if the ACD can be extended. So far, no approval for phone or video. Call all offices and everyone in advance to check for closures and report back. And i’m in a city that’s on level 10 freak out mode. Ugh.
I went to Walmart last night to see if I can grab any more items that I might possibly need in the near future knowing that it’s going to get much worse as the numbers climb day by day. I stood in a check out line for over an hour and that was with every single checkout line open and all self check outs open. There was basically no food left on the shelves but there was plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. I ended up doing grocery pick up for Tuesday. Earliest day available. Sam’s Club was the same way. I fear that we are headed to that point in my city where everyone is going to be told to stay indoors for a period of time as it gets worse. I was amongst several people (including myself) in the stores wearing gloves & masks and for very good reason because literally hundreds of people are crammed in the store- there’s no way of knowing who has it in there. They did put out triple the hand sanitizer wipe displays in the entrance but those were completely empty when I got there. I ended up getting paper towels and the foaming hand sanitizer and cleaned my buggy with it. It’s all online ordering and pick up from here out though. Uggghhhh.

1 Like

Try to stay calm and don’t add to the mass hysteria out there. A mask will do you no good unless you were infected and trying to stop the spread from those living in close proximity to you or in the same home. This will pass. We’ll get through this but we need a lot less selfish Americans and people out there that stop hoarding food, TP, and basic essentials. It’s getting out of hand.

As far as our jobs are concerned, be prepared to be out of work for as many as 3-4 months before we can get back to the way things used to be done. I’ve saved over the years for a rainy day and the rainy day is here.

I hope we all can stay safe and healthy through this and take care of those that will be affected by this terrible virus.

1 Like

I would assume for investigators, you guys in the worst case can do your interviews virtually. A phone is all you and the subject needs for that. What about adjudication? Can that review be done from home? Or Is it a TS material that can’t be accessed remotely, does anybody know?

1 Like

But why? This did not happen during the swine flu outbreak. This is only happening because of the current administration.

I don’t see us being out of work either, I’m sure many will take paid vacation & sick leave in effort of social distancing, but the government wheels keep turning. We worked through the government shutdown too, so that says a lot. Give that work to we the contractors, I’ll gladly take it.

Hopefully some guidance comes Monday with approved methods to get us through this.

I am hoping something comes out tomorrow. I will gladly keep taking work but do hope they lax up on telephone use during this time. I am supposing they will. I have parents I am cautious about protecting and am all for any measures to suppress the curve.

1 Like

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why these interviews cannot be done by phone until this COVID-19 passes.

Investigators are excellent virus vectors. 8AM-10AM, ESI interview with infected Subject (his supervisor and coworkers are already exposed). 10-11:30 AM, four source interviews at two different employments, passing the virus. After lunch. Court record and Police record, passing the virus. Then another two different employers and four sources, passing this virus all over town. Don’t forget the REFI in person. Do this five days a week. Well, at least the RESI can be done by phone, if you can make contact.

Again, there is NO REASON why interviews cannot be done by phone until this passes. But, it has always been done this way… so that settles it.

3 Likes

I’m a bit nervous as well…I’m leaving for TDY tomorrow. All TX work, mostly small businesses and one large university, many record checks. No coronavirus reported in the areas I’m going, but then, who really knows what the truly “infected” numbers are? No new guidance on phone interviews (CBP/ICE), and appears to be business as usual.

1 Like

I’m surprised they haven’t canceled your TDY. From what it sounded like from today’s briefing, it looks like some sort of domestic air travel restrictions will be incoming. As well as more business, school, etc. closures. This is likely going to have a significant impact on our work.

1 Like

If you’ve been stockpiling food and necessities for a month it’s hard to believe you really needed to stand in line for an hour at Walmart wearing a mask and gloves last night. If you go to Sam’s and use the app, you can scan as you go and then not have to wait to check out. Have you paid attention to the experts? Did you see that 80% of infected people will have mild or no symptoms? Several infected people in my community didn’t even have a fever, just a runny nose and/or sore throat. If you are age 70 or above, or if you (or anyone in your household) has underlying health issues, you need to be very cautious. Otherwise, I recommend that you take a couple deep breaths and then just use good practices such as washing your hands frequently and don’t shake anyone’s hand.

1 Like

Thanks for the internet advice. My city just implemented near total shutdown today. So, paying attention to the previous patterns in other countries I knew I had to start in advance. A. Click and pull is not always available. B. I definitely started in advance because members of my family do have underlying health conditions. C. All of my shopping adventures have been in between working 12-16 hour days and D. Schools are shut down, things that couldn’t be obtained by online, pick up or delivery due to lack of resources had to be gotten in person. I’ve been preparing for this. Sorry you can’t understand and yes, I pay attention to scientific data on how viruses spread. Just because your area is not affected badly by it doesn’t mean mine isn’t. Thanks.

Not sure how we are supposed to run cases solely by phone. Just going to be cases full of write offs.

Subject interviews by phone? Non or minor issues ok but what about major stuff? Reviewing passports? Obtaining financial docs? Cases where you know Subject has fabricated the SF86? How about the nightmare of trying to just reconstruct college students residence and employment history? It’s hard enough in person.

This is going to suck.

1 Like

Do you mind saying what city?

1 Like