Just move on and be happy!

I was thinking the same thing. If only it were that easy to jump into a new career.

4 Likes

I tried going the personnel security or fso route but didn’t have any luck. Spent the last few months getting some IT certifications and started my first IT job two weeks ago at 75k, so i’m very, very happy. It’s a lot more money and a lot less stress than being an investigator ever was. If any of you have any interest in IT then at the very least get the CompTIA Security+ certification, along with your clearance it shouldn’t be difficult to get a decent paying job for a DoD contractor

5 Likes

It’s not that easy BUT it’s been a year since the bottom fell out so that’s a year that anyone could’ve been looking elsewhere while hanging on. 2021 isn’t going to bring a change. DCSA has no care about the existence of PERSPECTA, CACI, SCSI or any of the others Venders. It will continue to be a cut throat world and now that they have BI’s working as IC’s, zero hour or “no work no pay, that will be their model. Do yourself a favor and explore. You’ll be surprised at the jobs where your skill set is valuable.

Too poor? Just get more money!

3 Likes

So, has ISN dropped out of the BI business? I (retired Army CI) worked for them from early '18 to early '19. I was stunned by the lack of training, guidance and support from higher. When GDIT dropped ISN, ISN dropped all of their investigators while at the same time asking them to NOT accept positions with competitors! Just left them out there hanging yet expecting loyalty.

There are advantages to serving in the military.

Unless a person has a disqualifying medical issue, everyone had the same opportunity to join the military.

2 Likes

Agreed that it has been (over) a year since it became too clear that this gig is up. I have been applying and thought I was close on one position…no cigar. I do think that the pandemic has slowed hiring decisions (especially for those of us with no preference). No words of wisdom from me - I do appreciate the “support group” here!!

4 Likes

Good luck to you! Look at Analytical and Compliance type jobs as well. A BI’s skill set fit well with some of the job positions in that field.

1 Like

Moving on today.

Gave notice a few weeks ago and counting down the hours.

Made it three years as a FI. That was enough. Got some great TDYs in met some amazing people and some not so amazing people.

This job isn’t about National Security, it’s about meeting the Metrics. The companies don’t care that you crack and develop issues and catch Subject’s lying and exposing possible security risks. They want easy clean reports to make the money.

If being a FI was about National Security the companies would reward FIs for developing issues not disclosed on the SQ. Not focused on cranking out high volume reports.

Went into this job three years ago with pride! I am leaving realizing it’s all about the Metrics… what a joke.

11 Likes

You are telling people to move on when you worked for ISN as a sub-contractor under GDIT who only had a piece of the NBIB contract for two years?

Now if you are advising people to move on from DCSA, you have a point. DCSA is a sinking ship for contractors. 100% telephone work, never leave the home again, and low inventory of work as the backlog has all but disappeared. Working for CACI or KGS is a nightmare as a F/T hourly as already described here countless times on this website with different threads. The old OPM, now DCSA contract is a cutthroat and awful contract to work as a federal contractor. The companies take and take and take and are like vampires.

However, there are avenues to remain in the BI industry even when not engaged with DCSA. It’s called independent and direct federal contracting. I should start a business and advise frustrated and lost BI’s how to create an investigative business and build up contracts with various vendors and agencies in the BI industry. I’ve already advised a couple of frustrated Investigators that were able to successfully build a BI business without the reliance upon DCSA for any work whatsoever. There are other agencies out there that don’t go through DCSA to conduct their investigations.

1 Like

How difficult is that? I have heard about that but the how is never talked.

The “how” is not talked as openly because most of us are fearful when we share such knowledge that our local areas will be inundated with hungry Investigators trying to compete with our existing contracts and vendor relationships. With the ever decreasing workload due to COVID and other situations, I won’t provide all of these nuggets of information here on a public forum. I intend to provide consulting services to lesser experienced BI’s in the future to assist others in developing their careers and stay in the industry. I’ve put way too much effort into building my CI business to just share all of my contracts and relationships here. Sufficeth to say that you don’t have to be reliant upon DCSA if you get on enough contracts.

Actually if you look at recent data, a huge percentage of the population is disqualified from military service.

When you’re ready to launch the consulting program please let me know. I’m not a " new Investigator " but ram desperate to get offf the employee train because of reasons I’m sure you’re aware of. I don’t know how to exchange personal contact info on here but can probably figure it out.

Some people because of disabilities that they have no control over.

The rest is from poor life choices.

Still stand by my comment. Being in the military has a few perks, and one of them is veteran preference.

I don’t disagree with your comment, (though I never served and personally never regretted my decision, a military environment simply isn’t for me), but based on a 2009 study that was referenced in this article from 2018, more people are disqualified on medical grounds than on fitness grounds.

It’s possible the ratio has changed in the past decade, I know that certain branches are now more lenient with waivers for various medical issues, but no matter how you slice it, the military is still out of reach for a ton of people.

2 Likes

Ain’t got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don’t worry, be happy
The landlord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don’t worry, be happy

Haven’t worked a case since May. I gave up on the BI world in July. On your IT certs. You just got CompTIA sec + cert and you were good to go?

Online?

You can take the CompTIA tests from home due to COVID, I just bought a book and did self study and took the test after a week of studying hard.

I also earned the A+, Network+ and CysA+ all within the last five months. But yeah, I was pretty much good to go with security+ alone

1 Like

It takes most ppl 30-45 days to study for Sec+ and that’s if you’re already tech savvy/ have some working knowledge and interest in that field. How you simply racked up all those certs in a seemingly short time doesn’t sound realistic. However, we can all acknowledge that we are not built the same.

2 Likes