Mental health records/hospitalization

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all having a fine Friday evening. I am asking this question in regards specifically to mental health hospitalization. Do background investigators move on and not dig into the issue if someone answers no to all questions on section 21? I've also been told that background investigators dont normally go seeking for health records unless there is a hunch or seeming that someone does in fact have a mental/psychiatric issue. 

Also since in 99% of states there is required reporting of mental health to state police, is that looked into?

but rather for a person very close to me inquiring because I was hospitalized in a behavioral inpatient program for 5 days when he was 13 years old. I have never had any issues since then. Only reason I’m asking is due to applying for a job that would require a security clearence (from the info I was told, it is a secret).

Need some advice here and an answer to my question

Thanks much!

We don’t discuss internal policy and procedures on this board.

Tell your friend to answer the questions on the SF-86, be open, be honest and let the system work.

Lastly, what is it with these weird scrolling posts lately? Where is this coming from?

1 Like

My apologies. I worded the question wrong, what I’m really asking is in specific on question 21 from my knowledge if answers yes the only thing that is done is a form given to you’re doctor asking if you are stable. If said yes then no records are delved into. If they say no, then isnt there a release of information that is signed or pre signed in that event for which records can be reviewed?

Yes I find the scrolling text annoying, I’ve tried reading others posts when on a mobile device. Kinda odd reading a few paragraphs sideways hahaha.

Thanks!

Actually, your not correct. It depends on the type of clearance. If they are trying to get a secret or TS then the investigation will find out what the mental condition was. The military is screening recruits for this and a lot of potential candidates are being turned down for minor mental health issues.

I find that to be false. Let’s be honest, meps doesnt have access to med records, nor do they even search for them. They dont have the resources nor effort to do so. This is coming from people who I know personally that work at meps. Furthermore the army released a memorandum called ARN-2018-12 which is the waiver authorization for mental health. Also on the SF86, it doesnt ask for primary care provider info, there is no central database for medical records. Also hospitals have a retention policy that usually never exceeds 7-8 years, then the record is deleted if there is no further incident. I’ve also been told that insurance records and provider records are not normally searched. The info on someones mental health usually comes out when doing field interviews on the people they listed and then some.

Also the FBI index used for NACLC doesnt hold mental health records, only the NICS, in which that's only for adjudicated mentally defective and involuntary admitted. In his case it was voluntary admittance. The NICS is not used in tier 3/NACLC investigations from the info I've gathered.

I am not sure why your here asking for help, you have already made up your mind about the answer.

1 Like

I’m trying to get confirmation as fo whether or not my information is correct or incorrect. It seems like maybe I am correct based off the responses I’ve gotten. Of course you all are going to say that you have ways of finding out. Here are the only ways

1. If someone during a reference interview mentions it
  2. If information on a police report/ voluntary admission of it.

Nowhere on there does it state a designated source for the records. There is no massive databse for medical records…

Why are you concerned about the BI “Finding Out” It seems like your trying to cover something up? This is not a good strategy to have regarding trying to get a clearance.

1 Like

I’m going to lay it out in a very simple manner. Because this has been running the gamunt on me. 57 people so far have told me to lie or to not mention anything about it, 54 of them are current active duty, one is an adjudicator and the other is a background investigator. I’ve been told things such as:

1. “They cant find out because there is no central medical records database”
  2. “I have seen people with alot worse hide things and get away”
  3. “Those are just scare tactics”
  4. " if the medical records are destroyed, then how could they find them."
  5. “As long as you dont raise any red flags, and nobody mentions it in the contacts interview, they cant find out”
  6. “If it’s not currently an issue, dont make it one”
  7. “They dont check insurance records, or medical records as normal practice, how could they find them if there is no where to put any info about primary care providers”

Whoever told you this is giving you very bad advice. Dishonesty is the number one reason why you will not get a clearance. Either disclose everything, or move on.

@fed-investigator

You say that on alot of posts regarding this. Prove it wrong, there is so much info on how all this works that frankly it’s not “internal procedure” I think you are just afraid to be the one who admits or gives out the facts that the question is more of a scare tactic like 99% of the people I have spoken with agree that it is. There is no proof you are providing on this instance because either

1. You know damn well you guys dont search for it nor have access to it
  2. You have no clue and dont have the evidence to back it up in regards to specific instances regarding mental health hospitalization.

I’m coming here for answers to legitimate questions, not to get a generic answer that is so easily spewed out.

Well can anyone prove those statements in this particular instance of mental health hoslitapilzation to be false? I even saw a post reply on federal soup (although 5+ years ago) from @backgdinvestigator literly stating that it’s not normal practice for medical nor insurance records to be checked. He stated they find alot of that via doing the interviews.

I mean really, if they dont have primary care provider info, they dont have a central database for med records and its been destroyed from the hospital. How can they find out. It seems like I’m getting a repetitive answer yet nobody can prove me wrong.

At the end of the day, do what you think is right, and tell the investigators what you think you should tell them. The only caveat there is if you don’t tell them everything and let them make an informed decision, you may need to live with the fact that you didn’t get cleared because they thought you were being dishonest. It’s really up to you, but understand that you may have to live with the consequences of not disclosing everything that they want.

1 Like

One thing I will add is that… Aaron Alexis (Navy Yard) shooting case puts the spotlight on psychological health. The case, I believe, leads to the revision of section 21.

As @12345 said, it is ultimately up to you. If it were me, I would disclose as asked rather than being slapped with a lack of candor.

Also, please note that there are exceptions to section 21. If your circumstance meets one or all of those exceptions, then you do not need to disclose.

Again, we don’t discuss internal policy or procedures.

Secondly, if you were so sure about your answers, then you wouldn’t be asking 50 plus people and arguing about it on the internet.

Lastly, you are kind of a prick.

4 Likes