Please help. Guidance needed

Without knowing your detailed financial situation - no one can give you an accurate assessment. However, what I can tell you is that financial issues remain the leading cause of clearance revocations. From what I briefly read of your post, $3000 in vet bills disrupted your life significantly - not good. Personally if I were you I would consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

Bankruptcy attorney for what? None of my bills are late, everything is current. I was just reporting a situation that occurred that forced me to exhaust a good amount of money. Vets expect payment up front.

1 Like

Compound the above statement with the fact that you have previously adjudicated financial issues… You are really asking why you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney?

OK. I have seen many credit issues. $2500 delinquent is not much debt. 30 days delinquent or even 90 days delinquent doesn’t raise much of an issue. I can not speak from an adjudicative perspective. However, with the circumstances surrounding the debt and the action taken, it falls into the category of life events. The risk involved of someone owing 2500 is minimal. I have come across much worse situations where it was adjudicated favorably(many times). People have downturns in their lives at many junctures. Bankruptcy is a last option when there is no way to turn it around. Having a charge off and 30-90 day late payments does not warrant that. Delinquencies are usually addressed at 120 days.

2 Likes

Note that I suggested to the op to CONSULT with a bankruptcy attorney, not file immediately for bankruptcy, big difference. Furthermore, the op noted previous financial issues adjudicated on his prior investigation. Given his current financial woes an adjudicator could establish a pattern of financial irresponsibility which may lead to an SOR being issued. Consulting with a bankruptcy attorney, and providing proof of such consultation to his FSO shows the OP is exhausting all potential remedies to prevent further issues.

Your suggesting that someone with paid off credit card debt and an up to date mortgage and home equity loan consult with a bankruptcy attorney. What are they supposed to consult with the attorney about?

Financial counseling on the other WOULD make sense. Even something like Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace classes would be a good idea. The OP isn’t having debt problems now but this would show that they are working harder to prevent them from happening again.

2 Likes

Ed, first, I’m so glad that you have chosen to respond to my posts again! Second, note that the OP has unsecured debts that he is struggling to pay, a home equity line, and a mortgage he was 90 days late on. Let’s also go ahead and safely assume that there are other debts we on this forum are unaware of. On top of that, he has told us (without any detail) about previous financial issues. Compound all of those issues and one can reasonably conclude that a consult with a bankruptcy attorney may be beneficial for the op.

Bankruptcy is not reserved for people who are just late on payments; in fact, often times, bankruptcy is utilized by individuals with overwhelming amounts of both secured and unsecured debts which are weighing them down and prohibiting them from achieving a reasonable financial stability.

At any rate, the advice from everyone on this thread is valid @Struff2000 - report your issues, seek out financial counseling , speak with a bankruptcy attorney or don’t. Bottom line is you are the only one who knows what should be done given your own set of individual variables.

I took the Dave ramsey Financial peace University Incase dod caf wanted more proof of me getting the education of getting out of debt. Will they ask for info.

I submitted my paperwork. How long do you think it will take before I hear something?

I don’t know if they will ASK for documentation but you should keep a summary of the program and proof that you completed just in case you have a chance to present it to anyone involved in your investigation.

This could be presented to an investigator or adjudicator or you can provide it as evidence in a written or open hearing.

Here’s one of the reasons that I try NOT to respond to you . . .

Read the OP! His CC, mortgage and equity lines are all current and you’re talking about OTHER debt that you THINK he might have . . .

If you are current, and riding along at a 650 FICO with no other issues…You should be okay on that specific topic. If you are sub 650, or 630…you will have something to discuss. What is your payment history these past 6 to 9 months? Life happens. We get behind, miss a payment. How did you respond to that life event, and where are you now? If not in a repayment plan, get in one. If you make all payments each month having debt isn’t a disqualifier in and of itself. Not servicing that debt can be.

FICO at 641 and climbing. No missed or,late payments, not behind on anything. Spoke to my security officer and he said not to worry because I provided proof that all delinquent debts have been paid off. He said he would be surprised if I even heard from DOE before my next clearance in 1 1/2 years. Does this sound right?

Roll with what your FSO says. Be sure you have a record of your communications with him/her.

3 Likes

I self reported this and he said that I did not even have to report this because it was not wage garnishment or bankruptcy. Does this make sense?

Exhaustive advice is the best advice, @EdFarmerIII .

1 Like

Yes Struff. It makes perfect sense. In my opinion it’s much ado about nothing. Not trying to minimize your situation, but there are situations that warrant an issue, and yours did not seem to meet that criteria.

1 Like

You may need sign an acknowledgement letter stating you understand the need to keep finances clean. But I think you will be okay. I am only concerned in my screenings if the person is well below 650. If they are in the 500’s…I will not submit. I would submit for a 641 and all previous debt repaid.

I am not sure I understand what you think may happen. I am not due for my investigation for another 1.5 years but I self reported the problem with statements that the bills were settled/paid off. Will they just wait until my investigation or will I hear something sooner? I submitted them last week and have not heard anything. Thanks

My client periodically reviews our finances. I also file a financial disclosure every other year. Our new employees file within 30 days, file the second year, and if the third year is their alphabet year, they file again. If they go non compliant at anytime, they need file the following year to show trends. On occasion I am given a letter for them to sign acknowledging their finances are being looked at and monitored. This is at the TS SCI Full poly cleared level. If you have 1.5 years to go and maintain or improve you will be fine. I wasn’t following the thread back to the beginning where you plainly stated that. Many posting here are waiting for a clearance.