Prior rehab

What answer should be put if someone had been to treatment/rehab facility for drug use in the past but had no there issues afterwards? Is it ok to say no? Their was no insurance that paid for it. So their should be no record of it correct? I had told my friend that it my be a violation of hippa laws? Just curious i am new to the security clearance thing and the level of clearance is secret. My friend completed the rehab program successfully and has been strait ever since.

See 23.6 and 23.7 on the sf-86. Your “friend” is required to disclose the counseling. “They” will sign a release allowing the investigator to access the records and speak with the counselor. Failure to disclose the counseling is a much, much bigger issue than disclosing it as required. Not to mention failure to disclose is also a felony…

Ever means ever. The U.S. Criminal Code (title 18, section 1001) provides that knowingly falsifying or concealing a material fact is a felony which may result in fines and/or up to five (5) years imprisonment. In addition, Federal agencies generally fire, do not grant a security clearance, or disqualify individuals who have materially and deliberately falsified these forms, and this remains a part of the permanent record for future placements. Your prospects of placement or security clearance are better if you answer all questions truthfully and completely. You will have adequate opportunity to explain any information you provide on this form and to make your comments part of the record.