Question 21 - Psychiatrist wrote incorrect information

I’m applying for a position that requires a psych eval as well as a background investigation.
The problem is, I was hospitalized three times in a short amount of time 11 years ago for suicide attempts.
(I was a high school senior who didn’t have enough funding to pay for college despite a partial scholarship, our house was being foreclosed on, parents getting divorce, among other problems that kept getting worse and worse during the second half of my senior year that were resolved after I left home).

I ended up being diagnosed with bipolar for two months, but that got changed to major depressive disorder and was upheld since, I have been in full remission since 2009.

I got my discharge summaries from these stays to forward to the agency, and I see a few inaccuracies such as:
Discharge summary 1: “Patient has full scholarship to [university I never applied to, but is in the same state].”
[…] “Patient does not complain of hallucinations” (accurate)

Discharge summary 2: “Patient complains of auditory hallucinations” (inaccurate. I remember this particular psychiatrist calling me by another patient’s name.)

Discharge summary 3: “Patient does not complain of hallucinations” (accurate)

I have a therapist who I saw until recently who can uphold that I don’t have hallucinations are anything like that.

I’m not sure if this will make me out to look like a liar or not and whether or not it will impact my creditability.
I already know that because of these problems, it’s a very long shot for me anyway.

I don’t think anyone is going to look at your medical files. I’d be surprised. Background investigators are not allowed to keep paperwork. You may show them if you like.

Answer the question truthfully and add comments explaining.

BI are sometimes required to obtain Medical Records and Fax them to OPM. The records are then retained with the case file until called for by OPM. Whether any of this matters in this individuals case is unknown. Perhaps one of the Adjudicators on this post can answer that question.

1 Like

You were 18 years old and it was close to ten years ago. In the end, the hospitalizations shouldn’t be a problem. Errors in discharge papers happen pretty commonly and the people reviewing all of this know that and have seen it before.

As noted above: Be 100% honest and don’t be afraid to point out the errors.

Point out errors, seek copies of your own records to dispute. Controlled mental health concerns are just that…controlled. No issues since 09…I say you overcame them. However, if they read the files and it doesn’t reflect what you say…that is a problem. So getting your records would really be in your best interest to challenge what the doctor not knowing your name can cause. I needed proof of my own prescriptions for depression medicine during a very painful divorce. The counseling agency closed their doors, records were moved across town…I was in a panic to prove the prescription was written for me and where I filled it. I was able to get my records and the prescription info. My TS SCi came through no issues. This, 2016, 8 years passed the event. My client regularly seeks medical records on applicant’s