Racial/Socio economic bias in process

I found this article and the others quoted in it very interesting. I have often thought that a young person who didn’t have to work in college (because of their parents support) and has no previous employments to investigate gets a quicker clearance turnaround and employment start date, than the young person who worked many different jobs to support themselves through college. I have also noticed some verbiage in the case papers, that are quite obsolete in today’s world.

The instance in which you reference is very easily explained and understood: the clearance process goes MUCH quicker for anyone with a less extensive background versus an individual that has lived/ worked here, there and everywhere in between because more ‘background’ work (sources, records, coverage) is required. That has nothing to do with racial bias whatsoever. Regarding the financial standpoint noted in the article, I also find this moot. I’ve covered extensive financial issues with every gender, race, rank, position, salary and so on. I just don’t see much foundation on this racial bias claim whatsoever.

2 Likes

What I am describing is a socio economic bias which can often be correlated with race. Two people with the same age, same degree, attempting to get the same job but one person whose parent’s supported them through college and has no job experience can often get a clearance and start date much quicker than someone who has worked many different jobs because they needed to while also attending college and supporting themself in the process. Lower socio economic classes don’t often have the luxury of living off relatives while waiting for their clearance to process and often take other jobs because they can’t financially afford to wait for this process to complete. I believe lots of good hardworking Subject’s are lost to government/military/defense service because of this lull.

1 Like

Why does everything circle back to “racial bias”. This is beyond crazy.

4 Likes

This can and does occur with EVERY race and gender.

2 Likes

??? This is beyond reaching, sorry. You mustn’t know a thing about how background investigations work if you firmly hold this belief.

2 Likes

15 years experience in the field on both sides of the country and yes I’m quite certain I know very little about this process. Every investigator knows the look of a very easy T5 and a T5 that will take a very long time to complete based on the 8 different jobs at 8 different rinky dink employments while also going to school.

2 Likes

I agree, it does occur with every race and gender and every race and gender can experience economic disparities during maturity. It’s the data and statistics that will tell the story. I can only speak to my experience and I do think the data will show socioeconomic disparities based on my decades of observation and work.

2 Likes

Not sure what you are talking about. Didn’t question you.

1 Like

The left finds racial animus and bias in things that don’t exist. Like the Easter bunny and tooth fairy. It’s a make believe world. I never thought I’d see the day a presidential administration would infiltrate make believe theories and make believe and false ideologies in every single government bureaucracy and then to see corrupt America follow suit is just as discouraging.

Imagine if the Republican party openly taught about Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice in every aspect of society and government bureaucracy. The media and left would lose their minds. To the left these secular ideologies of race, equity, and inclusion is their holy grail, their discipleship, and atonement on the holy altar of secularism and they openly teach it in schools, government bureaucracies, and society.

2 Likes

Yet you fail to describe the racial objectives in affirmative action to hire black minorities and providing them advantageous educational opportunities, veterans preference points to veterans when being considered for federal government employment, and permanent status federal employees obtaining agency transfers and new agency opportunities because of their permanent federal service. Seems like the federal government has leveled the playing field against the “privileged” to a large extent with their hiring practices.

A very experienced contract background investigator with no veterans preference, isn’t a minority, and has no former federal service will get beat out every time for a lesser experienced or absolutely no experienced veteran or a current or former fed from the US Fish and Wildlife Service working as an Admin clerk for a background investigator position with DCSA. How is that fair? It isn’t.

I will disagree with you here. The veteran or whoever still has to meet the minimum job requirements. All veterans preference does is ensure they get looked at, provided they meet the requirements.

4 Likes

My family came here in the 90’s from Eastern Europe ( so never held slaves or contributed to whatever discriminations were going on here centuries ago). Few years later my brother applied to a medical program in college and was flat out told: you are not going to get accepted, your grades are good but not excellent, you would have gotten in if you were black though. So I guess it works both ways.

Yeah, situation you describe it not discrimination (or reverse discrimination) per se but settled law in U.S. Supreme Court case California v. Bakke.

Bakke was denied admission to UC med school even though his grads/scores were higher.

Court said that due to historic discrimination against blacks Affirmative Action preferences are perfectly fine even if they lead to collateral discrimination as long as collateral discrimination was not intended by the Affirmative Action policy.

I think Bakke was reaffirmed recently with a lawsuit by Asian students against Harvard for admissions discrimination.

Oh, I feel much better now.

1 Like

Correct. Vets don’t get this or that job on the sole basis of being a vet.

1 Like

But vets get preference points which a non vet doesn’t receive so it does give them an advantage.

Only if the job posting lists vet preference as a qualification. Not all jobs do.

Most do list jobs as vets only can apply… Especially those with DCSA and the Department of Defense.

Not all jobs. The government doesn’t cater to vets nearly as much as your comments suggest.

2 Likes