Received copy of investigation

I have been waiting for a TS clearance for over two years now. Investigation closed in October of 2015. I have yet to hear anything. I am currently working as a contractor on an Interim. I recently requested and received a copy of the investigation. I don’t have a clean background, have three misdemeanors in 2004. Excellent credit and good reviews by friends, family, previous co-workers and employers. However, I noticed in the report that a law enforcement check reported an arrest and charge of assault occurred in 2012 in a state that I have never been to or near. The word “descrepant” was next to it. What is this? Why was it found? Will it cause me any problems?

Discrepant means there is a contradiction between what you disclosed and what was discovered. If I were you I would contact that law enforcement agency and ask for a copy of the report and if it wasn’t you, provide a copy to the agency that conducted the investigation and ask them to amend the report of investigation.

1 Like

I’m surprised that you got an interim with this ‘discrepancy’ hanging out there. Could it be that the investigator already figured out it was not you? I would think they would have already contacted you about this… but who knows.

I’m wondering if the investigator allowed it to close and decided to let the adjudicator sort it out… which sounds like pretty shoddy work, but then I don’t know how something like this should have been handled.

It doesn’t provide the law enforcement agency that was contacted. It says Statewide for Utah. Then says approved online/web search. Lists an arrest and misdemeanor charge in Prince William County. There is no Price William County in Utah. I had never heard of the county either, but a search shows Virginia. I’ve never set foot east of Colorado.

That sounds likely. Letting adjudication make a call. My re-investigation last go round did same and I had nothing in there.

Just that much alone makes the whole thing fishy.

Records are often wrong. This is why there is an interview, in part to go over anything that pops up in a record check. You should e have been confronted with this in the interview. I had cases were the record was flat out wrong. But this takes work to establish the record is incorrect. I can remember 10 years ago my manager allowing me to get to the bottom of a record discrepancy (C or D issue). By the time I left doing OPM investigations I stopped asking because I knew I would be told, “We’ve done all that OPM requires of us”, or there was too much work to worry about any anomaly one case.

1 Like