SF86 - Financial Record - Sole vs joint debt

Hi - Please help me answer this question on the SF86.
In the last seven (7) years, you had a lien placed against your property for failing to pay taxes or other debts. (Include financial obligations for which you were the sole debtor, as well as those for which you were a cosigner or guarantor).

I just found out that a property lien was placed on our account due to state taxes that weren’t paid from tax year 2014. We did pay it off in 2018 in full. This was for a tax return that my spouse and I filed jointly. Since it was a joint tax return, do I answer “No” on this question? Or “No” with an explanation? Or “Yes” and explanation?

Thank you!

Yes. With an explanation as to why 2014 taxes were not paid.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
I had a few more questions if you don’t mind me asking fed-investigator!

1. My payment history in the past few years has been “exceptional”. But in looking at my Experian report I saw one or two late payments (on three different accounts; most were 30 days, with one 60 days). These are records going back to 2013. If there were any that were 120 days late I wouldn’t know because I don’t see them on my report. How do I answer the question on the 120 day delinquency?

2. My student loans are on forbearance and confirmed with the lender and that I have never been delinquent. I always took an action like deferment or forbearance. Is this considered a delinquency? Should I explain this?

If your debts on your credit report are not 120 days late, then you don’t need to list them. You may be asked about the 30 and 60 day late in the interview but again, you are not required to list.

Deferment and forbearance are not considered delinquent.

Don’t overthink the questions on the SF-86, I know it is hard but answer what is asked.

Good luck.

1 Like

I agree, fed-investigator! Thank you so much for your advice!

fed-investigator, I have another question for you, if you don’t mind!

I am not sure how to interpret this question: Do you have, or have you had, close and/or continuing contact with a foreign national within the last seven (7) years with whom you, or your spouse, or legally recognized civil union/domestic partner, or cohabitant are bound by affection, influence, common interests, and/or obligation? Include associates as well as relatives, not previously listed in Section 18."

…do I need to list contacts that my spouse has, but with whom I have no contact with? For example, my spouse has friends he talks via fb messenger or chat during work, and they happen to be non-u.s. citizens. One has a dual citizenship with whom he talks about a mutual topic of interest. Another is a work buddy but they’re close because they have common interests. They met for lunch a month ago.

There are few other people he’s been in contact with for his book research (emails, mostly). These people are either non u.s. citizens who live in the U.S. or non-u.s. citizens who live abroad. I have no contact with these people and wouldn’t even know their first names. Do I need to list them?

Thank you so much for your help so far!!

Unless you personally have a relationship with the foreign nationals, you do not need to list friends of your husband’s.

The question starts, "Do you have, or have you had . . . " You do not and you have not had contact with these people.

Thank you! I started to overthink it.

Thank you for your response - I am so relieved to hear this!