Uncooperative Subjects

Wow, thanks for the insight. Much appreciated! I was previously a fraud investigator at a law firm and so, this is markedly different. My education/background is 100% legal. That is, until I found out the firm’s investigative unit was far more fun! Basically, I discovered something I love to do for the first time in my life and there is no turning back. On the whole, I enjoy the job. I enjoy meeting people that I’d otherwise never have the opportunity to meet, deciding which days to go out in the field and when I want to be a hermit and type reports. Its challenging and no two days are ever the same. I have been doing backgrounds for about a year and by and large, the people I deal with are very reasonable and approachable. I’m just trying to understand the various nuances of the job-Which is why I inquire. Much of my day is spent thinking/asking ‘What the hell? ,why for?, and come again?’ Admittedly, I simply have no clue about backgrounds and there seems to be an endless amount of ever-changing information to learn. @discrepant - You’re right, it may be that this area of investigation doesn’t suit me. I have a limited tolerance bs…But more so on the ‘corporate level’. I am endlessly patient with the kiddos joining the military - (so full of hope/dreams and themselves-Lol!) What I don’t care for is the sales/production model of management, inclusive of regular beatings and ‘you-suck-at-everything’ emails. Not only because it’s so completely wrong and ineffective but more importantly, it is absolutely counter to the nature of work we are entrusted with. The work is important, complex and merits thoughtful analysis and attention to detail. By nature, an investigation done properly, takes time. I struggle with this dichotomy daily. I know that over time, I will become more efficient. However, I’m not sure this is going to be enough. I sense relinquishing one’s integrity to meet qouta is expected (at least with my employer). ANYWAY, major digression…Thanks again all! I have really enjoyed reading this forum and have benefitted greatly because of your willingness to share (despite differences). Most of all, I truly love your passion for this profession!

This is the story of my life.

I’ve have had some considerably difficult subjects in my time. I just match their difficulty by being really stern with them. They give me a hard time, I talk to the supervisor, the security manager or the commander.

It’s really the only way to go about it. Being in the northeast in a major metro area, people aren’t friendly. No one has time for your BS and they have an agenda to adhere to. Just need to reciprocate and escalate (professionally).

post editing for post editing

Bending your integrity to reach a quota or other goal is exactly what you are trying to make certain that those you are investigating will not do!

It’s quite possible that these new applicants simply had no real idea as to just what the BI process entailed.

Way back, when I first started applying for IC jobs requiring TS clearances, I certainly had no idea what was involved in the application cycle. I just assumed that they would contact a few references and check police records, and maybe question the applicant about any travel to Communist countries (my experience dates back to the late Cold War period). I was certainly overwhelmed and flustered by the whole process, which has only multiplied in scope and length since those days, the end of the Cold War a decade later notwithstanding.

The same may well likely be true of first-time applicants today.

My best advice is to contact your senator or state rep to help move the process along. Prepare to wait and WAIT!

A security clearance to mow the lawn or make beds? lol
What is this world coming to? LOL

Truth. This operating location takes no chances hiring anyone with questionable behavior. And due to the large amount of classified…if some blows away or is left behind, they want to be certain people are cleared and trained on what to do with said info.

A guy told me he was working at Martin Marietta in Denver in the late 70s (first job out of college) when somebody came up to him and said, “Good news, your clearance came through.”

He said, “what’s a clearance?”

After thinking about it a bit, he vaguely recalled filling out some forms many, many months earlier but really did not know what they were.

You would be surprised what this world is coming too. I have a friend needed a TS/SCI and he is doing OSINT (UNCLASSIFIED) research.

Ironically, I was hired because I have integrity.
Irony upon irony, my integrity will be what gets me fired. I seriously love the work. … so what now?:slightly_frowning_face:

How will integrity get you fired?

I like uncooperative Subjects. Just bounce them, not my problem. I’ve got more then enough work for the cooperative ones.

Agree with Fed Investigator… I will accept the excuse that some one is out of the area, not at work because of illness, FMLA, etc. or something that is beyond our control - but just being difficult - I report what was said and press on to the next case.

Yep, had a Subject just the other day that didn’t have time to meet with me.

Cool. Non-cooperation it is!

It’s like they think I am going to be the one answering to their employer or chain of command.

My old recruiter filled out my SF86. When I applied for another job that requiered a clearance I saw that I had one and it said “ Receuit is to report to Parris island “ I had no idea I had that!!

When my Investigator called me I immediately asked him to be scheduled the very next day. Took me 6 hours to complete but I hope it will go to adjudication soon.

Just bounced one for non-cooperation. Best part is I still get paid for the ESI since we partially completed it before subject became uncooperative.

You started the ESI and then Subject quit? Only had that once and it was a SPIN. Had the Subject dead to rights, they said they no longer wanted the job.