DOJ Attorney clearances

Does the suitability and security assessment investigation, go beyond the 10 year mark at any point? Or is it merely isolated the 10 year scope? Also, if yes or no, is any information beyond the 10 year scope that is discovered, considered within the determination? This is for roles needing a top secret clearance at the DOJ, needing for security AND suitability clearance.

It depends on the question. For example, Section 22 of the SF-86 requires a yes for felonies or for misdemeanors involving alcohol, drugs or firearms, no matter when they occurred.

Section 26 of the SF-86 requires only financial issues within the last seven years to be listed, while Section 28 requires civil actions within the last 10 years to be listed.

1 Like

In terms of issues bearing on adjudication, the length of time and seriousness of each issue may give rise to mitigating circumstances in terms of issues not being a disqualification.

1 Like

Right. Thank you.
But outside of the EVER questions and easily attainable criminal records. Do the investigators go outside of the 10 year scope for any other various record or information? So, if the question ask for only the past 10 or 7 years, do the agents and/or investigators go outside ones 10 year history to find further information?

Depends. What are you asking about, specifically?

1 Like

Thank you!
I have no criminal history nor any issues in general. However, 14 years I experimented minimally(less than 3 times) with marijuana, and gave away(took money, even though that was not my intent, study meds, someone gave me a couple dollars after I gave them one) a prescribed drug while I was in high school.
Clearly this is outside the 7 years under the SF-86, and outside the 10 hear investigative scope as a whole, so I do not need to answer, and there only place one could even find this is on a few of my law enforcement applications from 11-12 years ago.
So, my question is would those applications even be examined, and if so, would that information be considered for the suitability determination? Even if considered, would that be long enough to be of no suitability concern?

From my experience these agencies will have additional suitability, going so far as to tell you to ignore the instructions regarding scope and answer for a longer period of time or even “if you ever”. But in my opinion it’s been so long since you I’d it that it’s probably been mitigated.

1 Like