Feds make arrest for Chinese espionage and lies on SF-86 is a major factor

Baimadajie Angwang, and NYPD officer and U.S. Army reservist was charged today with spying for the People’s Republic of China. Count two, three, and four of the four-count federal indictment relate to his lying on his SF-86C Questionnaire for National Security Positions.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/press-release/file/1318501/download

This part from pp.21-22 of the 24-page federal indictment should leave everyone a little astonished that he even had a secret level clearance:

From pp.21-22 of the federal indictment:

The investigation has revealed that ANGWANG has familial and financial ties to the PRC. ANGWANG’s father is a retired member of the PLA and a PRC communist party member. ANGWANG’s brother is currently serving as a reservist in the PLA. ANGWANG’s mother is a retired government official and also a PRC communist party member. Notably, ANGWANG’s father, mother and brother reside in the PRC. 29. Moreover, the investigation has revealed that ANGWANG has financial ties with his family members in the PRC, further revealing his closeness to them. For example, on or about April 20, 2016, ANGWANG wired $100,000 from a U.S. bank account held in ANGWANG’s name to a PRC account held in the name of his brother. On or about May 18, 2016, ANGWANG wired $50,000 from a different U.S. bank account held in ANGWANG’s name to a PRC account held in the name of another individual.

ANGWANG has also received multiple substantial wire transfers from the PRC. For example, on or about May 23, 2016, a U.S. bank account held in ANGWANG’s name received $49,985 from an account held in the name of ANGWANG’s brother in the PRC. Moreover, on or about January 29, 2014, a U.S. bank account jointly held in the name of ANGWANG and ANGWANG’s wife received separate credits of $50,000 and $20,000 from an account held in the name of an individual at the Bank of China in New York.

V. ANGWANG’s False Statements on his SF-86C

1. In connection with ANGWANG’s USAR service, ANGWANG has completed various electronic “Questionnaire[s] for National Security Positions,” commonly referred to as “SF-86” forms. These forms are used by federal agencies to initiate the background investigation required to determine placement in sensitive national security positions. In addition, the SF-86 form is used in eligibility determinations for access to classified information; for ANGWANG, the form was necessary for him to receive his “SECRET” level security clearance. One variation of that form, the SF-86C, is used to report any updates or changes to an individual’s most recent full SF-86 investigation.
  2. On or about July 3, 2014, ANGWANG completed an SF-86 form in connection with his position in the USAR.
  3. On or about May 17, 2019, ANGWANG, from a computer located in the Eastern District of New York, digitally signed and electronically submitted an SF-86C also in connection with his USAR status. Block 4 of Form SF-86C stated, “I understand that a knowing and willful false statement on this form can be punished by fine or imprisonment or both (18 U.S.C. 1001).”

Way too much foreign influence.

How was this not picked up during BI?

1 Like

This subject would have been denied at Treasury and DHS.

Not impressed with Army PERSEC lately.

1 Like

Wow, this is mind boggling. I wonder how it got through adjudication. I’d be interested in hearing the rationale behind the granted clearance!

It is not a surprise at all he got through adjudication. He was a US citizen and Ideology is easily hidden. He did get caught and it does go to show there is much more to this process that what we do.

1 Like

Well…(I assume) since he did not have a parking ticket or traffic violation (which seems to be very important to adjudicators in determining security risks), he probably was not flagged. Having numerous cases refiled for additional information regarding who else knows about a parking ticket and if the parking ticket can be used for coercion seems ridiculous. Seems like energy is being wasted on unimportant “issues” and not the important ones…like ties to China.

“He did get caught and it does go to show there is much more to this process that what we do.” Agreed…

1 Like

There’s probably not much more to the process than what you think. He got caught because banks report suspicious money transfers and I’m sure the CIA track known bank accounts with foreign connections.

I thought the case was dropped?