Marijuana use while holding clearance

Sounds good. Bank some OT if ya can. Just try and drag out the process as much as you can to increase that time. You should have 10 days to say you’ll respond to the SOR (if you get one) and then you security officer can grant you a 30 day extension to the already 30 days so that’ll eat up 2 months before it even gets to the DOD CAF. IF you get your clearance revoked then you’ve gotta decide do you appeal which I believe you have 45 days to decide, I’d recommend it but since you can’t work that will push back the time till you can reapply and thus get back to your position. Appealing, and do the in person hearing will then add even more time. Then it’ll be a year until you can reapply. So by then you could be 3 years + out which your reapplication will hopefully be successful. If you don’t appeal there will be less time till the reapply but you’d be back in your position sooner if it’s successful but slightly riskier cause less time has passed. That’s the tough one, I’d again talk to your supervisor and security officer to see about still working during the appeal. Obviously that depends on the nature of your work and if they can justify it.

I’m rooting for you even though that means nothing

1 Like

Appreciate the support for sure. Unfortunately the nature of my work requires an active clearance, so any revocation means once it’s gone, so am I.

Before making a post of my own, I did some research and came across this. My post also about marijuana. You are welcome to read it so not to hijack yours, but just curious, why can’t they just drug test you to prove you don’t use?

1 Like

Use is an issue. Knowing it is not allowed and using, concealing that use, being vulnerable to blackmail etc, time passed since you used…lots more to consider than just are you currently using. If you will not honor the prohobition against drugs would you honor the rules on not sharing classified material?

1 Like

After speaking with an attorney, as well as reviewing similar cases, the actual use of the marijuana seems to be a lesser point in comparison to the poor judgement using it (and violating federal law in the process). I’ve seen many cases where the applicants took multiple drug tests, all negative, and still got denied clearance. To quote the attorney, “it is a nuanced difference”, but an important one.

Wow. So please excuse my ignorance here but, they took an agency/govt requested drug test, passed it, but denied clearance…so why did they request the drug test in the 1st place? I’m surprised you, or anyone admitting to it using it would not be flagged for random testing more often or even 1 time. I mean, I guess if u admitted to it, what’s the point, but hopefully what I’m saying makes sense.

1 Like

I always find that last part such a stretch. I know it is the way it is but it’s like saying that if someone doesn’t use a turn signal they’ll drive drunk. The two crimes are so unrelated I don’t know how people genuinely make that link since there’s no instance of it happening.

I wish there was data available from PSABs since they’re made up of 1 security personnel and 2 non-security folks. They’re allowed to take a completely fresh view on cases, impossible to know how they decide but probably more lax than a DOHA AJ.

1 Like

You can offer to be drug tested as a contingency to keeping your clearance. Granted that and signing a letter of intent not to use don’t seem to move the needle much. That’s another silly thing, when a person admits to use their word is gospel, when they say they’ll abstain it’s entirely questionable. Bit of a double standard, they never question if your admittance is true, just your intent to abstain despite the fact youre agreeing to it under penalty of perjury.

1 Like

Why would one lie and say they used illegal substances when they didn’t? That’s just silly.

1 Like

Potentially.overstate because they’re afraid of looking like they’re concealing something so maybe they’d say they used more frequently than they did.

1 Like

@Mdfgj . . . You seriously sound like someone who I think should be denied. There are a couple of points that you seem to be missing: Passing a drug test for MJ only proves that you were smart enough to abstain for as little as a few weeks before the test. Unless you have a real problem, anyone could do that pretty easily. Pot is illegal as far as the federal government is concerned. Only a few states have legalized it. In other states, buying pot is an indication that you have been hanging with criminals. Maybe your supplier isn’t a violent, cartel connected thug, but more often than not, your MJ did come through the hands of a violent, cartel connected thug. Also, prior use is a pretty gook indicator of future use and is clearly an indicator that you are prone to not following the rules.

You don’t like the idea that if your willing to smoke grass you might not protect secrets? This doesn’t require you SELLING or actively giving away secrets. Most breaches are not done on purpose. They result from lax adherence to the rules. Losing a classified laptop, leaving classified documents where they can be taken or copied, talking when you should be keeping your mouth shut. This is how drug use can damage your ability to protect information.

There’s no double standard. That’s just silly.

2 Likes