My second year as an investigator

In case you missed my first year as an investigator, it can be found here. I’m writing this to give some insight on the experience I’ve had working as a background investigator, so hopefully it’s helpful to those who are interested in this line of work. Sorry in advance if my writing is all over the place.

This last year has been a complete blur. For the most part, I was TDY (temporary duty yonder) for almost half the year, mainly between California and Colorado. I’ve been back home for a couple months now which is good because being away from family so much was starting to take a toll. Either way it was an interesting experience, got to meet a lot of interesting people, and I even got to see old friends from the military while I was on these trips.

Since my last post, I definitely feel like I’ve improved in my role substantially and I’m operating at a great level of efficiency. I’ve got my schedule down pat and I usually cram as much field work into two days as possible, enough to meet or surpass my metrics, and then that leaves me with 3 days throughout the week where I potentially don’t even have to leave my house unless I want to run to the court house or police station for a record and some extra points on my metrics. After I get my fieldwork completed over a 2 day period (sometimes 3), I always have plenty of time to type my reports and start scheduling stuff for the next week. This has been working well for me. Some investigators do things different and they’ll have meeting scheduled every morning which leaves their afternoons free to be home and type/schedule. It’s up to you to find your groove.

That’s one of the beautiful things about this job, your manager really doesn’t give a crap when you work, as long as you’re hitting your numbers.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR

One year ago, I purchased my first brand new car and drove it off the lot with 0 miles on it. Flash forward to now and I already have 19,000 miles on it. Did I also mention that I was gone for almost half the year and not even using the car while I was TDY? Yeah, this job will be hell on your car. Yes, we get reimbursed for mileage, but needing an oil change every 1.5 months is still annoying. You definitely have to show your car some extra love when you’re in this position.

Always be prepared for a change of plans

There will be times where the stars have aligned and you’ll have a case where you’ve been able to get all your meetings scheduled with little to no effort. You call your subject, set up a meeting with them, and tell them you also need to interview their supervisor and co-worker, can they set that up? They say “Sure! Not a problem!”. On the day of the meeting, you’ll drive 30 mins to conduct the ESI (enhanced subject interview), expecting that things will go smoothly and you’ll be able to interview a supervisor and co-worker, which will pretty much wrap up what you’ve been assigned on the case.

However, you will arrive to your meeting and find that the supervisor has called in sick or had an unexpected event or meeting come up, and the only co-worker available has only worked there for a month or two and can’t provide the coverage you need. There goes your perfectly laid plan and now you’re going to have make a second trip out there to interview the supervisor whenever they’re available. It doesn’t happen often, but it definitely will happen, and you can always use that extra time to your advantage to take a nap in your car be productive before your next meeting.

Constantly changing management

I’m on my 4th supervisor since I’ve started this position, so that’s basically 2 different ones per year. My current manager is really good and communicative, but I’m trying not to get too attached because I’ll probably have a different one by the end of the year :grimacing:

Industry changes

2019 was a pretty hectic year for this industry and I lost a lot of great co-workers to The Layoff. Other companies suffered massive losses as well and it just wasn’t a good time to be a BI, (probably still isn’t) and that was only a couple of months ago. With DCSA in full effect, things seem to be smoothing out a little and I’m back to having a huge amount of work.

Who this job is for

This job is not for those who can’t take initiative. You have to be willing to pick up that phone and start calling people and getting those meetings scheduled. You have to be on time to your meetings and you have to be professional and polite enough to make your grandmother burst with tears of joy about how well you were raised. Don’t be sloppy and don’t be rude. The people you have interviewed WILL be recontacted again to determine if you conducted yourself accordingly.

This job is for people who can work on their own without someone holding their hand.
It’s for people who are fine with being alone week after week, day after day. Most of the people you interview are just a blip among the sea of others you have interviewed. They will forget about you just as quickly as you forget them.

Occasionally I meet with other investigators in my area for lunch but that’s only about once every 2 months. I used to work in a machine shop in the firearms industry and there was no shortage of crap talking each other and having some great laughs during our 10 - 12 hour shifts. Aside from missing that camraderie, I quite enjoy being alone in my car zipping around the county and practicing my Spanish with some audio courses.

I’ll admit that there are some days where it’s hard to want to work, especially if I don’t have any meetings scheduled and I just need to type, it’s just too easy to go back to bed or do something else when your schedule is pretty open.

Secure facilities
Depending on where you go, if it’s it a contractor or federal facility, people will treat you super respectfully for the mere fact that you’re an investigator and a lot of times they won’t even think twice about letting you into a secured area that you’re probably not supposed to be in. If something like that happens, make sure you politely ask about the proper protocol for entering the area, such as where to sign in and which lock box to stash your phone in. I’ve found that if you don’t ask these things people will literally let you go wherever because they think your badge trumps protocol and they’re trying to help you get to who you need to see or where you need to go.

Cover your ass

I think I stated in my other post the importance of good note taking. Seriously. Take good notes and cover your ass. Any time I make a phone call, I’ve got the date, time, number I called, who I spoke with, what we spoke about, and I do that for every single call on every single case. I have 100% confidence you can match my notes up perfectly with my call log. Sometimes you will be trying to contact a source and you’ll call a couple times and leave messages, send an e-mail or two, and still get no response.

At that point you’re required to make an in person attempt to whatever last known address you have for them. If you go there and they don’t answer, you have to leave a card or door tag. Whenever that happens, make sure you’re documenting things in the neighborhood that stand out, so if someone follows behind in your footsteps, they can see without a doubt that you were actually in the neighborhood.

I can’t overstate the important’s of having good notes enough, and it will save you a lot of headache. If you can’t get a hold of a person, then at least you can show that you’ve exhausted every reasonable effort. I feel like this is something they didn’t hit on enough in training.

Conclusion
If you still want to get into this field after reading this post and the other one, I’d say go for it if you can find an opportunity near you. Nowadays companies aren’t really hiring at the moment. I was lucky and got hired on during The Great Hiring Surge of 2017 and so far it’s been a great experience. Not every day has been perfect and stress free, but I’ve never felt overworked and over-stressed as some reviews would indicate. A lot of reviews I read for this position told me to run faraway and I didn’t listen, and I’m glad I didn’t.

On a side note, I don’t plan on doing this forever as a contractor. If I can get into a federal position, then yeah I can see myself knocking out 20 years no problem. Right now I’m making plans to get into the IT and Cyber security field and currently working through courses to obtain the appropriate certifications to break into the field.

5 Likes

Buy a 1-2 year old used vehicle with low miles next time instead of a brand new car off the lot. You’ll save yourself $3,000 to $4,000 in costs and you can find great used vehicles that are almost like new. I don’t drive a vehicle with less than 36 MPG so you can make money off the mileage and save money for the next car. I also run a synthetic amsoil in my vehicle that gets me 20,000 miles before an oil change. The oil is expensive but is worth it and it’s fantastic oil.

You must be a Perspecta F/T hourly employee if you are getting work because this is the only company getting work at the moment.

3 Likes

Excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us!

Year 1.5 for me. Former FTE turned contractor. I agree with @sideshowbob on his points.

#1 Take notes on everything, fully documenting every call, email, in person attempt, name, who you spoke to, time, date- everything.
#2 Always call and confirm with your sources and subjects before you get in your car to drive. So much can and does happen the morning of an interview, never rely on the night before confirmation- life happens. I always take extra items with me in the same zone to get like records checks just in case my schedule gets suddenly rearranged- and it often does, so I can quickly re-route and fit those items in. You’ll learn to make the most of every single minute of your day. You will be a master at scheduling.
#3 Communication is key. It’s everything.
#4 Make time for your family.
#5 Keep up with your car maintenance and be ready for high mileage.
#6 Last but certainly not the least, be professional in every aspect. Your attitude, dress, hygiene, manners- all of it. Don’t bring an attitude to the interview. Be polite.
#7 Edited to add “Must have patience for I.T. issues” :grinning:
From the moment I started this position I have loved it. Even through the very stressful times. It’s challenging and I learn something new every single day.

1 Like

Yes, the IT issues are definitely one of the biggest headaches of this job. The laptops are painfully slow and going through all the login prompts and switching VPN’s constantly to complete simple tasks is just… not fun. I’ve been having an issue with my laptop where if I type with any amount of force then my PIV card will disconnect and I’ll be kicked off the VPN. I was sent an external card reader not too long ago but lo and behold it doesn’t recognize my card. Oh look…FWS is frozen and stopped responding, nothing new here.

1 Like

The struggle is real!

1 Like

I have to enter my PIN like 8 times to get a single document to load in FDR.

4 Likes

Lol that would drive me crazy

1 Like

That’s me, all day everyday this week. These upgrades are making everything go haywire.

You type you reports on the LAPTOP Keyboard? I could not imagine doing that. Have you considered using an external keyboard and Mouse? I have two additional monitors (27" and 34") hooked up so I have three screens up (including the laptop screen). It really helps.

1 Like

I entered my PIN repeatedly in FDR to get a doc to load for a couple years and then one day I figured out if I hit “cancel” the second time it asks for my pin (ie the first time it asks after I get logged in to FDR after logging in with my pin) then it doesn’t ask me repeatedly to re-enter it. Good luck!

1 Like

When I’m TDY I typically don’t bring an extra keyboard or monitor with me as I have enough stuff to lug around.

Whereas I bring a natural keyboard and a HDMI cable for the room TV (I’m an old man and have a hard time with the laptop keyboard and reading the small screen)