Public Trust Applicant Denied Eligibility Due to Continued Intent to Smoke Weed

Originally published at: Public Trust Applicant Denied Eligibility Due to Continued Intent to Smoke Weed | ClearanceJobs Blog

Not to sound like a broken record here, but it amazes me when people want to work for the federal government as a civilian employee or contractor, but haven’t figured out that marijuana use is illegal at the federal level regardless of whether it is legal in their state. This not only applies to security…

2 Likes

It amazes me that marijuana use is illegal only because the federal government is trying to figure out a way to tax the substance. The reason they are having such an issue is that the majority of the sales of marijuana are conducted citizen to citizen and not thru any means that the government can reliably track it.

It amazes me that marijuana is federally illegal when it is not hazardous to your health however citizens are legally allowed to drink as much alcohol as they can afford the ridiculous taxes on…this leads to drunk drivers injuring and killing over 13,000 people each year.

It amazes me that marijuana is illegal when excessive alcohol abuse can cause brain damage and fatal liver damage contributing to 140000 deaths per year in the US alone.

It amazes me that African Americans are 3.73 times as likely to get jail time for marijuana possession.

It amazes me that grown adults are consenting to these federal regulations on a substance that cannot cause death but allow access to alcohol.

I think your place of employment whether you are a janitor or a director at the CIA should allow you to have privacy and should absolutely have no say in what you do while you are not at work.

Times are changing and this is a SUPER antiquated school of thought. I don’t want the government meddling in my personal affairs. It’s simply none of their business and I hope they soon realize that they are missing out on great talent like myself because they are choosing to enforce antiquated and racist laws.

Now if it becomes a problem then by all means investigate but no way should that play a role in my background investigation.

When I’ve run into this situation, it has been for subjects which have smoked marijuana regularly for years while working for a company for years without incident. All of the sudden the company gets a government contract which requires that the subject have a public trust background investigation and the subject doesn’t really understand what is changing or why they can’t continue to use pot. Most have been in the IT field and I assume they had no problem getting a new job with a company that does not have government contracts after their public trust was (presumably) denied because they said they planned to continue to use.

Not to be pedantic, but they know how to tax it just fine. The problem, well, just look at what happened in Ohio.

1 Like