Recent grad here. Is my drug usage too recent (17 months ago) for a security clearance? How detailed should I be?

how can i see The SOR you mentioned here?

After reading multiple posts it seems there are many people who have experimented with illegal drugs and in the same boat as me. I currently am filing out my eQIP. After the military I used Marijuana for a 2 month period in Nov. 2012 and used Mushrooms one time in the same month. I have of course disclosed everything and this is my only area of concern. Since I used it in 2012 I have gone on to start and complete my degree, start a family and have good jobs increasing in responsibility. All of this I have tried to explain to the best of my ability on my SF86. In your experience what are the chances of getting a favorable on my clearance.

1 Like

Very good unless you are applying for an FBI, CIA, DHS/CBP, DEA, or a few other IC agencies.

2 Likes

Even for those agencies it may depend on the position. Any armed law enforcement position, you would more than likely be automatically DQā€™'d for. But there are lots of folks in the intel world who have some limited drug use in their past. It depends on how long ago, how old you were, frequency of use, any involvement in sale, etc etc etc.

But there was one person, canā€™t remember if it was on this forum or another site that I troll, who said they were in process for a low-level clerical type job with DHS and was disqualified for drug use due to a zero-tolerance policy.

Yeah, for cbp i had even less than that and got denied. CBP ZEROOOO DRUGS. This is for anyone reading in the future. My SOR said they had an absolute zero policy on drugs because of the line of work. As more of this generation experiments with drugs, (I recently graduated in 2014) i feel like they will have to eventually soften though because it looks very common now. I barely even made it out of the packet review before getting denied. I guess they just scanned the drugs section and said no.

1 Like

@Smityj15 so that was you? Maybe I misunderstood what kind of job it was, I went back and looked and it was a contractor job? Who denied you, the contractor or CBP? You said SOR but that would come at the end of a long painful process.

Many contractors do a pre-screen and drop anyone who looks like they might have any issues at all. They know it could be a long time getting folks cleared. Very risk-avoidant.

Yeah that was me. It was a contractor. An employee referred me, and my app went in to the official cbp and dhs heads where they denied me. It took 3 months, no references or family contacted, nothing pulled from credit. It took 3 months for them to read I smoked weed 2 to 3 times in college and deny me. I Someone emailed me that I was going to be denied, sent my SOR over email password protected which listed why I was going to get denied and that I can send an appeals email straight to the adjudicator and gave me the email address. I sent it and the next day my program manager called and said I was not cleared. Mind you this was an SSBI. So I would not have had a real actual clearance, just vetting for a top secret clearance.

1 Like

I was a little confused, I donā€™t have any experience with DHS and in DoD world a Statement of Reasons (SOR) comes from a centralized adjudication facility and not til the end of the whole ordealā€¦ sounds like DHS runs things a little differently because they are able to adjudicate their own stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah DHS was so unorganized and confusing. Iā€™m doing another clearance with OPM and NBIB and they are so good at getting information in and responding properly with accurate information. I mean dhs told me it would take 6 weeks to get cleared. HA!

Weā€™ve kinda hijacked the thread here butā€¦

I was looking at a contractor jobs listing once and they had a bunch of jobs with DHS.

Most of them required full lifestyle poly!

Really?

lol yeah they are so far up their own but man its insane. Almost everything there requires a poly. It must be really hard to get positions filled quickly. Itā€™s really intense and frustrating since they are their own separate thing. I had to scour this website for even minimal info.

1 Like

Still dominating the discussion here but I came across somethingā€¦ a DHS IG report saying that CBP wasted money by conducting polygraph exams on people who had already admitted to disqualifying activities.

This is an interesting blurb:

CBP administered polygraph examinations to individuals who have admitted to such things as using illegal drugs within the last 2 years or committing serious crimes. Either of those actions would prevent someone from being eligible for employment as a CBP law enforcement officer.

Does that mean that drug use more than two years ago is not an automatic DQ? That in fact there really is no ā€œzero toleranceā€ drug use policy?

You can read the whole report if you are so inclined, it is not that long.

Good question . . . It could be that mitigating factors for use beyond two years are allowed. It could also be that the POLICY allows drug use beyond two years but GUIDLINES disallow ANY use . . .

Indeed! The CIA application process is far more stringent than that in other agencies, even for the same level of clearance!

Dang i did not get a notification you posted in the thread. This is interesting. Yeah when I went for an interview they told me a lot of people failed polygraphs at my (would of been future but got denied) worksite. I would of been a data analyst for polygraphs. They even told me when I came on board to avoid certain bathrooms because some people are agitated and toss trash cans when they fail and such. Now I know why. Smh

When you say put on pause, do you mean that someone who is completely truthful on a polygraph and ā€œpassesā€ but isnā€™t granted the clearance due to the content of what they said (drug uses within a certain time frame) can reapply to the same job at a later date if they believe the issue has been mitigated by time?

Still waiting Can you pm me your councilā€™s advice?