Recently leaked Pentagon intel documents

Yes, it i had this issue come up in a Fullscope poly. They asked if i had read any of the wkkileaked documents. I did not but was told that that would have barred employment at that time. The IC doesn’t exactly work on legalities, they kinda make things up as they go. Just because it isn’t illegal, doesn’t mean they wont hold it against you.

If you did read that stuff and were asked, even during a polygraph you could have easily and honestly answered that you did read some of the information that was discussed on online news web sites.

Like I said, ANYONE who visited the NY Posts web site last week would have been met with a full front page spread with the leaker and TWO documents posted in the same image frame as the leaker.

So, yeah, I did violate my “need to know” by going to the NY Post web site on that day and seeing what was on the front page.

Same went for visiting news.google.com or even if you had a Twitter feed of news.

They were even discussing the contents of the documents on some news programs.

You created this post and are working extremely hard to justify the behavior, and why? Why do you want to know so bad? Why has this topic struck a cord with you? If you already did it, then what’s done is done. If anyone disagrees with reading the material you come back at them, so why seek the approval in the first place? What is the approval from unknown strangers going to accomplish for you? Do you feel guilty? Do you remember getting the training about leaked classified documents? Do you understand that clearance and access versus legality are different topics? Did you discuss the leaked documents with a coworker and are now rethinking the wisdom of that decision? Your continued argumentative nature on this subject is shady at best and definitely leaves one to wonder.

1 Like

I was simply asking about the policy/law and engaging in a discussion. The net net is there are no laws or policies in place.

I brought it up because some folks outside of this discussion are telling people that if they “come across” this stuff that they have to self report to their SSO, which is just ridiculous.

Well I suppose you could do that, but I think the SSO would just tell you to forget it… unless it was something that once you told them, they are obligated to report it up their chain… so you’ve just created more work for your security team.

Now if you come across it on an unclas computer at work and decide to print it out… now you do have an incident.

1 Like

You do , are SUPPOSE, to report it to SSO. That is how it was for wikileaks years ago too. Technically if you read it, you broke ethics for clearance. remember that in the IC Policy can sometimes be as simple as memo that went out in email form or even administration of one POTUS to another. If you expect everything to be clear and fair in the IC, it’s definitely not. You can’t even visit the dark web, even to just look at what it’s all about.

This may be true if your organization supports “Bring Your Own Device” mobile technology, where official software is loaded onto your laptop/tablet/phone that allows you to connect to the company/agency network. Thus far I have managed to avoid doing this.

PS By replying to that part of @clearedrob post I make no claim to be an expert!

1 Like

My questions:

1. Do you have a security clearance?
  2. If yes, do you have a need to know?
  3. If no, then STOP. That is one of the allegations that will be made against the Airman. Did he have a need to know.
  4. If you answered no and then continue your search for these documents then get a really good lawyer.
1 Like

I think the law against seems pretty clear. At lease what I understand from the annual Handling Classified Information training. Your clearance requires you to not view any classified documents you’re not authorized to view, FULL STOP.

Regardless of the medium you viewed them on (TV, newspaper, etc), the law doesn’t make distinctions about how you viewed them. Remember “leaked” does not equal “de-classified.” No one is supposed to view them without need to know. This should go double for clearance holders. Also most TS documents are SCI and should only be viewed in a SCIF.

Bottom line: cleared individuals have made a promise to follow the letter and spirit of the law. Maybe it sucks but we are and should be held to a higher standard. Personally, I would not feel it’s worth the risk to my clearance.

1 Like

People who love their country and truly want to be informed of world events and the national and international political outcomes of worldwide newsworthy events should continue to read, educate, and inform themselves on the activities of their government and political leaders. True patriots don’t stick their head in the sand and “hope” for democracy.

From ClearanceJobs blog: As stated: Leaked declassified
DoD Says Classified Information Found Online Hasn’t Been Declassified

1 Like