Self admitted alcohol abuse

If I am redoing my secret security clearance and just recently went to the VA to a psychiatrist to talk about alcohol abuse and anxiety. His recommendation was to quit drinking. Can they deny my clearance due to me going in for help and then just fixing it on my own? I have never had a Dui or any other criminal offense besides and article 15 for a drunk on duty when I was active duty. What do I need to do if it is possible to completely mitigate this problem? Thank you all in advance for any help.

List it as counseling. And speak to it as you have here. Not drinking, when possible, usually is a big indicator of positive things.

1 Like

Counseling/treatment is a mitigating factor - i.e. “good” .

Keep up with your appointments and follow the treatment plan. Also let your provider know you are a clearance holder and warn them a $*%! background investigator may come around and ask them questions.

In general terms, the BIs are looking to make sure you are following the treatment plan and don’t have a condition where you are a security threat.

1 Like

What if I self admitted to drinking 10-20 beers on my off day and then never saw him again because I decided to mitigate my alcohol problem on my own? Even know it is quite tedious should I go back and visit him and let him know what I am doing and how I am doing so he can add it to his report? Its not illegal to drink any amount but from what I have been reading up on me self admitting that amount(which I thought was absolutely confidential and now find it is not) and not having some kind of documentation of continuing care or quitting might be a high risk or possibility for losing my secret clearance??? Or is that false because I have never gotten in trouble besides 8 years ago when I was Active Duty. Thanks again for all the help I truly appreciate it. Also what is considered to much per secret security guidelines? Ill do whatever is necessary to keep my job.

From my experiences, go back to the VA and get the counseling. Trying to mitigate your admitted problem by yourself is not a mitigating factor. Getting help is not going to hurt your clearance. Not getting treatment can impact your clearance.

At the risk of starting arguments, 10 to 20 beers on your day off gives the appearance of high alcohol tolerance, especially since beer is no longer limited to 3.2% alcohol but can be up to 12%.

1 Like

I had a heavy drinker, second DUI employee. After twice attending the counseling programs because they failed him once he started to “get it.” The clearance division simply wanted to meet with him, see his treatment plan and make sure he both understood and followed it. So I echo BI above. I would not want to say the only mitigation to 20 daily beers is my word. Once you ring the bell it can’t be unrung. The BI person would likely report that forward. Having a documented case file from treatment showing you put it behind you in the eyes of a competent medical authority…is much stronger.

He never put me on a treatment plan so I will go back and let him know my drinking has dropped substantially as he suggested. I will also ask him what he suggest as a professional to be able to say it is not a problem? I am more then fine with doing whatever necessary to keep my job. What if they do not accept what me and him have done? Would they ever just terminate me or do they give me a chance to be like this is exactly what you need to do to keep the clearance? Thank you all so much for the help.

Ok thank you so much for the suggestions. I will definitely go back and ask him what he suggest for him to give me an okay.

1 Like