3 Years For Mitigation MJ Use

Doing some research…is 3 years a long enough time to mitigate MJ use while holding a current Tier Ii Public Trust Clearance? Last use was in Summer 2017. No intention of using again. Federal employee before and at time of use and current with no gaps in employment. Coming up for re-investigation.

Three years is more than long enough to mitigate the use, however, the other issue is actually more serious. As a federal employee you knew using marijuana is against federal law. Your failure to comply with rules and regulations is the issue, and then bringing it up years later on a reinvestigation will not look good. Not to say you won’t get favorably adjudicated, but it will certainly raise an eyebrow.

2 Likes

Thanks Marko.

Everything you said is true. I guess the bigger issue now is trying to show trustworthiness by fessing up and not trying to hide anything. How strongly do you think the investigators take someone’s plea of how truly remorseful they? Because truly that is the case…not just because a security review is coming…but have truly regretted in the gut for what was done while in this position of trust…

I don’t think they really care how remorseful you are. However, if you fail to demonstrate that you understand how serious the issue is, that will definitely be noted.

Something that might be more meaningful to the adjudicator would be showing how your life circumstances have changed. For example, you used drugs that time because you were still hanging out with the old crowd from school, but you don’t hang around with them anymore. You’re a responsible person now, paying bills on time, going to work and being a reliable member of the team, establishing good credit, stuff like that. You may even be able to provide a character reference, but that may not come up until you file an appeal (if it gets that far).

Hmm… I wonder if something like that is supposed to be reported? Probably so… and maybe they could also ding you for not reporting it…?

1 Like

If you were truly concerned you would have reported this at the time of use (or not used) and NOT have waited until your clearance was up for renewal.

1 Like

Thor, you are making a judgment and you have no way to know what you are saying is true. You cannot possibly know how concerned this poster is.

Not sure if you’re still active but how did this work out?