Admitted MJ use with current clearance while looking to transfer

Currently a GS within DOD, with active Tier 1 - Secret

Sep 23 - Applied for another DOD position (promotion to step higher) that required a Tier 3. On my SF86 I listed that since having my current clearance, I’ve used MJ. Listed the timeframes, frequency, reasons, etc. Against all advice from fellow GSes to lie on the form, I admitted anyways. Didn’t want to lie, and understood what repercussions might follow.
Oct 23 - Got a TJO
Nov 23 - Ended up getting the TJO pulled due to not meeting Suitability Requirements.
Jan 24 - Notified that CPO reported my admitted drug use to my current command. Currently awaiting final decision of suspension length for admitted drug use

Two questions:

• How can I find out how long this flagged/failed security clearance will last? I’ve heard some denials come with a timeframe of when a person is cleared to apply for other jobs
  • Still looking for other jobs with the Federal gov. I’ve read several instances where applicants applying to non-DOD agencies have been granted higher clearances with MJ use. Even read about a person who got a TS with meth and LSD use. That said, is there a chance another agency will be willing to hire me?

P.s. I understand these are all rightful consequences. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

From what I’ve heard, it’s possible to get your clearance reinstated and get a job fairly quickly IF your MJ use was while not cleared. But if you used while cleared, then I think you have to wait a while. At least a year I think. But don’t quote me, not 100% sure.

If you get terminated, you are screwed. If you work for Army you will probably be fine, they clear anyone.

You have an incident report on your file now and would need another investigation.

2 Likes

As @bebe1979 says, now you have an “incident report” and that will cause any kind of action involving your clearance, such as a transfer or crossover, to freeze dead in its tracks until the “incident” is resolved, usually through investigation. The few cases I have heard of took quite a while to resolve; those were for contractors, direct hire fed employees may go a little faster.

I doubt anyone will be able to give you timeline. I’d say expect it to take at least a year, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised if it closes sooner.