Active Clearance new job

I just accepted a new job and did a new SF-86 but have an active clearance. It asked if I had a Bankruptcy in the past 10 years which I have since I submitted the last SF-86. Will this come back to bite me?

I would say that it depends on your current financial state. Also, they look more favorably on the kind of bankruptcy where you pay off some of the debt (Chapter 13?) vice the situation where your debts are just liquidated (Chapter 7?).

It may or may not bite you but it will definitely chew on for for months and months while they slowly (VERY slowly) come a decision.

Oh yes and did you report the bankruptcy to your security manager? That could be the biggest issue. In fact that might be the first thing the investigator wants to find out.

From your question, I’m going to assume that you didn’t self-report the bankruptcy when you filed. If that’s the case, you better have a good explanation for why you did not.

That’s going to be a bigger issue than the bankruptcy itself.

I didn’t self report because I was so busy at the time and didn’t think about it and our FSO is in another state and very seldom talked with. Will I still have my clearance during the investigation or will I lose it during investigation? I am working with it now.

You should retain your clearance during the investigation.