Alcohol Usage Underage

Hey all, I had my investigation interview recently and when asked if I plan to continue underage drinking, I honestly answered yes but that I would not go overboard (not black out / not drink to the point of throwing up etc). Obviously, I should’ve mentioned that I would stop if the clearance required me to, but my question now is should I follow up with the investigator to emphasize this? I basically told her “Yeah, I would” and when further prompted mentioned I don’t really see it as a problem. Did I just sink myself? Should I text her? I have her contact info so she said I should reach out if I have any more questions.

You cannot change testimony already given. If you were to contact your investigator and give additional testimony it would go into a separate, additional report. That means the adjudicator will still see what was originally said, then the adjudicator will see that your testimony changed. I cannot tell you what the adjudicator will make of that, I can only tell you what the reporting requirements are.

What I said initially wasn’t a lie, I would just be supplementing it with the information that I am willing to stop if necessary. Do you think I should follow up with the investigator?

As an investigator I don’t have the authority to answer questions about adjudications all I can do is point out the obvious in your testimony. In your original testimony you stated that you did not see a problem with underage drinking which translates into you don’t see a problem with breaking the law if it benefits you which translates into a security risk. Will attempting to recontact the investigator to remove your foot from your mouth make a difference? I don’t know. I’m not sure the investigator would even take the call since your testimony has already been given. Asking a question and trying to give additional testimony is not the same. Good luck with that though.

2 Likes

I’m confused. You are currently an underage person? There are several states (Wisconsin being one of them) that allow underage drinking with a parent or spouse. There are no federal laws regarding underage consumption.

2 Likes

I feel like this is a bit of an insane logical jump. Drinking in college for fun equating to a security risk because I’m supposedly breaking the law for my benefit seems like a ridiculous reason for denial. The magnitude of crime should be taken into consideration, no?

Believe me or not, your choice. I’m just telling you what it looks like. No skin off my nose, I got my clearance.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, and yes I’m an idiot, I know. I followed up and committed to not drinking until I turn 21 and not breaking the law. Hopefully this reverses or mitigates the damage I did by saying I’d continue.

Demonstrating one disregards laws they think are minor…translates to “can we trust you to follow security rules?” Would you post TS material in a game chat? Just happened. A demonstrated record of breaking the law…is factual.

5 Likes

A few things to ask though, how far removed are they from the MIPS? Are these 5, 10, 15 years ago? The author indicated they are still underage and planned to continue to break the law. Your example of driving over the speed limit does not relate due to alcohol issues are of greater significance which is why they are EVER questions. So to take an “ever” issue that breaks the law and say it is no big deal and I intend to keep on doing it probably is not the best approach. I feel pretty confident an adjudicator would agree.

I made a commitment to the investigator that I would not drink until 21. Additionally, the alcohol questions are 7 year, not ever, questions.

Section 22 Police Record: The EXACT question… “Have you EVER been charged with an offense involving alcohol or drugs?” Don’t try to argue with an investigator, we literally have the SF86 saved on our computer to reference. You won’t win that battle.

1 Like

The incident that prompted this discussion with my investigator wasn’t about a run in with the police. Nothing is on my police record, I’ve never been arrested or charged— it’s completely clear.

1 Like

That’s nice, but you’ll still get flagged for self-admitted criminal behavior. Will all this affect you in the long run? Probably not. Does it make you look good that you keep changing your answers and arguing that it’s no big deal? Not at all.

2 Likes

I have never worked as an adjudicator and I don’t profess to be a know it all, but if I had to bet I would say that you will be cleared. Good luck and let us know how it turns it. Also, is this for the military? TS or S? The military is really struggling to recruit right now. If DCSA is going to start bouncing every potential grunt who admits they might have a few beers again before they turn 21 in a T3, it’s only going to get tougher to maintain combat readiness.

3 Likes

Traffic scofflaws are not part of clearances. Alcohol incidents are.

41 year’s cleared perspective. 15 recent years experience working clearances…

Being honest about underage drinking? Thats a Positive. Speaks to honesty.
Openly admitting you will not honor the law? Though honest…its viewed as a negative.

People will routinely admit minor non legals, express a desire to put it behind them, mature. With enough time…it self mitigates. I’ll use Marijuana as an analogy. Its not legal on a federal level, even if your state allows. People experiment. If 12 to 18 months pass, and they express understanding that following rules is important and will be honored…that is viewed positively.

But openly stating you are aware of the law and you will continue to violate it is different. It communicates you are a law/rule breaker and will continue as such.

Saying you will abstain, but later admitting you did it 2 more times…is still wrong but not viewed as bad as one plainly stating they do not follow rules…and will continue to not follow rules.

It begs the question "would they follow rules on classified material? " Would they post on Discord? If they accidentally brought a cell phone to a SCIF…woukd they continue to do so?

Its one thing if an adjudication has to determine if a person will followcrules. Entirely another when your own words are “Yes, I’m gonna keep violating laws”

1 Like

I believe you meant to say, “openly admitting that you will not honor laws that are part of the clearance process . . . “. Based on your prior post, admitting you will likely violate traffic laws again doesn’t count when getting your clearance. Let’s be sure to draw the line on what laws count and what laws don’t when it comes to your clearance, just to avoid any confusion.

You seem to want parsed words. Having worked clearances, worked very closely with adjudicators and polygraph…I do know speeding tickets and parking violations under $300 usually is not relevant. Underage drinking is looked at differently as is Marijuana use even as a minor. Same with non legal downloads.

If you cant understand trustworthiness and a willingness to follow rules…I cant help you.

1 Like

Whenever discussing underage drinking issues with Subject’s who are now of legal age…I always enjoy their expressions when I ask them if they have any plans to underage drink in the future. :slight_smile: I’ve always thought it one of our countries biggest hypocrisies that 18 year olds can join the military, buy a gun, drive a car, vote, and serve a beer but can’t buy and drink a beer. Maybe if more 18 year olds voted things would change.

4 Likes