Can you proactively submit additional written information to the investigator?

I was told that an investigator will be contacting me soon to initiate the investigation for a security clearance. On my SF-86, I disclosed information that I understand could be considered potentially derogatory. Could I ask the investigator if I could proactively submit a written statement detailing why I believe any security concerns have been mitigated as well as including positive factors for consideration under the whole-person concept (volunteer experiences, awards, etc.)?

For reference, this is for a position in the military that requires a secret clearance.

You will be given a chance to provide all that when you are interviewed.

And remember, just because you think it is mitigated does not mean others will. There are always three sides to every story…

You can always ask the investigator but they will likely not accept documents. However, during the interview, you will be going over this potentially derogatory information and everything in detail.

Thank you for your reply. If I cannot share any additional documents, how I can highlight positive attributes or prior experiences for consideration under the whole-person concept?

You typically do not contact an investigator with additional information unless they contact you.

If you receive a Letter of Interrogatory (LOI) from a personnel security division, you will be given a chance to submit documentary proof regarding your response(a) to questions that may arise from your documentation submitted and/or following your investigation.

Right now just sit tight and be responsive to any correspondence or phone calls you may receive.

You will have the opportunity to highlight positive attributes and prior experiences during your in-person interview.

No. They will setup an appointment (if needed) to interview you. Just have what you think you will need ready to go. You could be opening pandora’s box when it is not needed.

A volunteered written statement is a two edged sword.

Yes, you can submit a written statement, but the investigator will have you submit it as an affidavit. A really seasoned investigation will tell you that the written statement is not needed but will ensure your issue is fully discussed - meaning all of the information, bad and good, is collected.

A written statement from you becomes a formal document that can also be used against you if misspoken or incomplete.

2 Likes