CBP Public Trust and Credit Issue

I have a secret DoD clearance. I am applying for a public trust with CBP and one of the forms I have to fill out is a FCRA to pull my credit.

A few days ago I applied for an auto loan and realized my score was quite low. In the mid 600s when it has always been in the mid 700s. I realized there was a phone bill that I thought I had taken care of but apparently they weren’t auto withdrawing the amount and I was going through some severe health issues at the time. I immediately called the number for the collection agency, paid it out and settled it right away. Apparently it was 3 months overdue and I didnt get a call as I was overseas and my mail forward with USPS didnt process.

I have never had any past late payments, collections, however my credit utilization rate is 81% (my debt amount versus my max. credit line).

I am applying as a subcontractor and the prime contractor sent me the FCRA form to complete.
Will I have an opportunity to explain the facts of the matter with the phone bill going into collections and the high credit utilization rate as I do have legitimate and valid reasoning for it. I am not sure if they use the FCRA as a preliminary way to “weed” out candidates they know they dont want, unlike a SSBI where you have the opportunity to explain any red flags or areas of concern like debt issues.

Hard to tell what a contractor will do. Some places seem to avoid candidates with any issues, preferring to deal with folks they can get on contract as soon as possible.

I don’t think your reasons for the debt are as persuasive as the fact that you have paid off the debt. Maybe there’s a place to explain any “yes” answers and you can provide a brief summary there.

In my humble :roll_eyes: opinion, you should be OK. But like I say, hard to predict what a contractor will do.

1 Like