Concern about Mental Health Omission

I’m writing on behalf of a friend who is very concerned about her TS clearance process and I’m asking for advice/opinions.
She already has Secret clearance and recently filled out forms for TS. She’s in the investigation process now, but one of her references mentioned that she’s bipolar, for which she did not check “YES” for in the application. Her disorder is different from the one that is of security concern (mild, is under treatment and control), and that’s why she didn’t mention it. She’s scared this may now be considered an omitting error/fraud and emailed her employer about it immediately.

Any ideas what she can do at this point? Is it too late to correct it?And can this actually be considered fraud and grounds for losing clearance and her job? Thanks.

1 Like

I am a little confused, you say she has bipolar mood disorder but yet it is “different” and not the kind the SF86 is asking about because it is a mild case. Question 21D asks have you ever been diagnosed with bipolar mood disorder and it does not differentiate between a mild or severe case, therefore is she has been diagnosed, she should have answered yes. The diagnosis in and of itself does not disqualify a person from a clearance. We do inquire to ensure the condition is properly treated. The honesty issue is a concern.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. She realizes that now and it was a misunderstanding on her part. Is there something she can do at this point to correct the mistake, like talking to her security officer to amend it, or should she just wait?

1 Like

She can call her sponsor and change it.

1 Like

I thought the case couldn’t be changed after the investigation opens but sounds like that’s possible. Thank you both for your responses.

As far as I know it can’t be changed at this point, all she can do is be honest when asked by an investigator and give the necessary details. I am not an FSO or an adjudicator and all I know is my portion of the process.

1 Like