Debt Management Program

I was hired at a DIA hiring event. I’m getting my top secret clearance. I have a lot of credit card debt and would like to enroll in a debt Management Program. I’m wondering if this will have an impact on getting my top secret clearance. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Proactive debt reduction is a mitigating factor - as long as you follow the plan and make your payments.

1 Like

Are your debts being paid timely or do they want you to stop paying so they can make settlement agreements?

It will depend on the process used by who you sign up with. If you not already behind, some will recommend that you stop paying so that you can get creditors to take a reduced settlement. This can cause a real problem because of the non-payment. If you are already behind, getting into a program will help but you will need to be making payments on all of the debt, not just selected accounts.

1 Like

Hi there - I have been in a debt settlement program for the last 2.5 years, and I am currently in T5 PR (should be done soon I hope). I started the program before my PR knowing all of my accounts would be on a payment schedule. I included all this information when I submitted my PR.

1 Like

should be no problem as long as you reported your debt settlement program to your security people 2.5 years ago.

1 Like

Yeap - I sure did. I also have copy of the email to my FSO in case someone asks for it.

Would you mind elaborating a bit? Mitigating factor???

I haven’t entered into anything as of yet, because I wasn’t sure if it would impact the clearance. Currently, all off my payments are being paid on time.

Self reporting any problems, and debts are one of the bigger concerns, is a mitigating factor for financial issues.

If you need to seek help and do so, to include following the payment plan and making your payments, that is also a mitigating factor.

1 Like

If your FSO is aware - then you are golden for the most part.

List everything over the last seven years on your SCA and you will be fine.

1 Like

When I turned in my SF-86 additional forms, I provided such documents as my legal contract with my 3rd party, proof of my on time scheduled payments, 3rd party supporting letter, etc.

1 Like