Downloading YouTube Videos, Fair Use, and SF85P

Greetings,

My question is about this item from the Supplemental SF85P:

“􏰐􏰠 􏰡I􏰌n the last seven 􏰜􏰓􏰝 years, have you introduced, removed, or used hardware, software, or media in connection with any information technolo􏰄y system without authori􏰸zation, when specifically prohibited by rules, procedures, g􏰄uidelines, or reg􏰄ulations or attempted any of the above􏰞 (Above refers to the actions listed in this question)”.

I have worked as a teacher for years and have downloaded images and sometimes, YouTube videos, to include in my lecture slides and to avoid having to deal with WiFi issues and opening YouTube during class. I always thought this was okay under Fair Use laws, but now fear some of it was technically not (though many teachers do the same) and that I should have been more careful.

Should I answer “Yes” to this question? Thank you.

Did your school system prohibit the practice? If not, your response would be no.

2 Likes

The school might not prohibit the practice, but it could still be illegal.

In this case, I think you are in the clear. There are some offenses, like illegally downloading music/movies, which are never charged. If you are uploading that media, particularly in large quantities or for profit, you stand a good chance of being charged. Furthermore, use of copyrighted media for teaching is protected by fair use in the US.

1 Like

Not always . . . . .

I think https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html might answer your question…

Nonetheless, not all downloads are illegal… it depends largely on the purpose/intent of the use.

1 Like

You should answer no to that question as long as there were no company policies you violated. This has nothing at all to do with downloading copyrighted material unless there is a policy at work forbidding you to download media.

This question is from more of a cyber security standpoint. More companies are adding procedures about cyber security and this would be about violating them. An example I have seen would be with external media. A policy would prevent anyone from using external media without it being properly scanned to prevent malware from entering the system.

1 Like

I beg to differ . . . We have had a number of people here who had trouble for downloading music and movies to there own computers.

Music, and movies is one thing…Youtube on public use channels is another. If you click on or watch a Youtube, they get revenue. The previous issue was the artists weren’t getting a penny. That said, I am speaking in generalizations. DOwloading a catalog of movies and music ala Napster pre charge era…remains a big issue.

1 Like

but often it is allowed for educational reasons.

The intent of the IT questions are to determine if you follow normal business/government IT rules. We are concerned if you do the following to your work equipment: (this is a short example list) download unauthorized software, insert unauthorized hardware, try to subvert cyber safeguards, etc.

Most of the IT issues I have investigated as a BI involved unauthorized thumb drives, CDs, installing unauthorized software into work/government computers, using someone else’s logon (both with their permission and without), and peeking into areas that were unauthorized, such as someone else’s emails.

. ,

1 Like

No. You should answer “no” to that question.

1 Like