Dual citizenship and foreign affairs

Good morning everybody
I am a dual citizen of the United states and the Syrian Arab republic. currently employed with TSA but in the hiring processes for US customs and border protection and us Capitol police. I haven’t made it to the investigation phase yet but I have some questions about security clearances .
I would like to one day visit my family back in Syria but I have a mandatory military conscription waiting for me back there that I have no intention of getting into .
Under Syrian law a Male who is expected to serve his 2 year term may pay money to wave that military requirement for life .
I chose not to deal in this until I’ve spoken to an investigator because between my future and a visit to family futures more important. What are your thoughts on this . I don’t practice my foreign Citizenship and I travel using my us passport only.
Background is squeaky clean

Somebody from US Capitol Police was on here (or another forum) saying that although they went through a background investigation they did not actually have a security clearance (no requirement for access to classified info). I dont know if CBP is the same. Maybe that would mean that your situation is less of a concern. I dont know.

In my worthless opinion, your investigation might take a little longer but I don’t think you have anything to worry about (except for maybe going crazy while waiting).

Hope it works out!

1 Like

I heard even tho a ts bi is conducted the actual security clearance is not ts . But I’m not sure.
So you’re saying there’s hope. I disclosed all communications between me and the Syrian authorities to both employers. So far so good . I haven’t paid the 8000 yet

My first thought was that you are hoping to glean ideas regarding what to say to a security clearance investigator that might aid in getting you cleared, or at the very least, to help you get a sample of the interview questions that are asked in interviews so that you can practice responses, tone of voice, mannerisms, etc. to prepare for the interview. My second thought was that if you can get cleared, you could then potentially groom other foreigners to get through the security clearance process. I personally prefer to trust people until they give me a reason not to trust them, but the pilots who flew into the trade center towers went to extreme measures to learn how to fly and get all of the proper certifications, many of whom nobody would have ever expected would commit such a hideous crime against the USA - and they changed how I see things. I think you should direct all of your questions to a USCBP Security Manager for advice. Your recruiter in the hiring process should be able to direct you further.

If you can proclaim yourself a sole US citizen with only a US passport your investigation will go much quicker and less complicated. If you have any old expired foreign passports shred/destroy them and proclaim yourself personally a sole US citizen. My personal opinion has always been that actively pursuing a dual citizenship is a lot like being married to two different people. Difficult to juggle and definitely split allegiances.

Really? I’m not sure how to categorize this advice.

That’s awfully accusatory. get a sample for security questions? This isn’t a criminal issue . It’s a question relating to the rights and limits of practicing dual citizenship . At any rate there’s no manager at cbp that I can reach out as a POC. I will ask them the same question I asked in this thread

CBP has a Secrete level.

I am a bit appalled by your inferences! How did you come to those conclusions?

My first thought was that you are hoping to glean ideas regarding what to say to a security clearance investigator that might aid in getting you cleared, or at the very least, to help you get a sample of the interview questions that are asked in interviews so that you can practice responses, tone of voice, mannerisms, etc. to prepare for the interview. My second thought was that if you can get cleared, you could then potentially groom other foreigners to get through the security clearance process. I personally prefer to trust people until they give me a reason not to trust them, but the pilots who flew into the trade center towers went to extreme measures to learn how to fly and get all of the proper certifications, many of whom nobody would have ever expected would commit such a hideous crime against the USA - and they changed how I see things. I think you should direct all of your questions to a USCBP Security Manager for advice. Your recruiter in the hiring process should be able to direct you further.

Emanoemano, chill out. I didn’t say they were conclusions. I said it was my first thought and my second thought. They come from repetitive security awareness training planting in the mind that people are not always as genuine as they appear and our responsibility is to always be vigilant.

They sound like they came from prejudice not training.

2 Likes

You’re putting my integrity into question and saying I’m planning to train foreign nationals . I don’t appreciate your snark comments.
And by your words you’re undermining the hiring process of these agencies . I’m more hard working and honest than most people who were born here

oof. Well here we go.

2 Likes

Happy 4th of July :us:

Your comment is very inappropriate! I am a dual citizen and I will never betray my country (USA)! Just because I or someone else was born in a country that is not a US ally right now, doesn’t mean you have the right to categorize many of us in such a disgraceful tone! the hijackers in 9/11 were not dual citizens! They were Saudi, Egyptian, UAE, and Lebanese nationals! Please do some homework before writing such a controversial comment to insult anyone that was not born here!

1 Like

Dual citizenship shows allegiance issues. Dual citizenship can’t be forced upon anyone. Pursuing and maintaining an active dual citizenship doesn’t clearly show sole allegiance to the United States. I like to use the comparison of how difficult being married to two people would be.

1 Like

FWIW - there are ‘acceptable’ countries in which a US cleared contractor can hold a dual-citizenship…those being within the FVEY community (five eye: US/UK/CAN/AUS/NZ). There are policy stipulations that require you to show sole allegiance to said primary country of citizenship but YOU ARE allowed to have them, apparently this is contradictory to how it was maybe even 10/15 years ago where it was a HARD no on a dual-citizenship.

Now if you are talking about countries in the Eastern Bloc or parts of Eurasia or Africa then you can bet your butt that isn’t going to be looked at favorably.

edit - had the UK twice, meant to include NZ

I think its ridiculous how a US government employee or contractor with dual citizenship can have a clearance…especially top level clearances. Allegiance AND citizenship should be only to the US…hell, I think only birth citizens should be able to hold a clearance, and naturalized citizens should be investigated more, and have a more in depth investigation than others…Our government needs to step up and start letting only Birth citizens and very well checked naturalized citizens hold top level clearances, its the only way to really prove that allegiance is to this country…Dual citizens should not hold any type of clearance or join our military.

Some dual-citizens that I know with “top level cleareances” are more american than some native born people will ever be.
While I agree with most of what you said, you can’t paint a broad brush on that matter imho.
Allegiance shouldn’t be tied to citizenship alone (and isn’t thankfully…).
I’ll go one step further, some natives that I know shouldn’t hold their positions/clearance for clear allegiance issues…

4 Likes