Failed my Polygraph, How bad is my situation?

I am currently in the process of trying to obtain a TS Clearance for a 3-letter agency. I have submitted all necessary documents for my background check and completed my psych eval. I took my FS polygraph a few days ago, however, and unfortunately I failed.

I went into the room with the examiner and was asked what I knew about polygraphs. I mentioned how I had heard many people fail them the first time, to which they explained I should be ok as long as I am being honest. They asked me if I had any questions, to which I asked what the rescheduling process looks like if I did have to retake it (I later regretted asking this).

I was then given the standard instructions on how the exam would work, went over the questions, was strapped into the machine, did the practice test and then got started. We went through the suitability questions (criminal activity, personal drug involvement, falsification of security forms), all of which I said no to - which is the truth. I was definitely very nervous during the whole examination. The examiner then stopped the exam and said that my responses indicated I was withholding something from them, and wanted me to tell them what it was. I was not withholding anything, and was telling the truth, and I explained as such to the examiner. Then for about an hour the examiner grilled me and attempted to have me confess to something. They said I was withholding information from them, that I wasn’t taking the process seriously, and that I was treating it like a game (they implied that I was just assuming I would get to try the exam again, due to my earlier questions and comments). Throughout all of this, I continued to maintain that I was being truthful and had nothing to add.

When this was all done, the examiner said that I would be failing the exam and would have to wait and see if I would be allowed to take it again. I wanted to ask how bad of a situation is this? As far as the rest of my clearance goes, I have no criminal involvement, no mental health issues, no illegal drug use, no financial concerns and no foreign contacts/businesses/offices. The only other concern I have had in my processing is that I was terminated from one internship in college, however I explained to my investigator that there were unique circumstances surrounding this position, and I believe my explanation helped to mitigate this concern.

Is there a decent chance I’ll be invited back to take the exam again? Either way, how long might it be until I found out what happens? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The polygraph process is such a load of BS and with every story I read about individual experiences the more cemented my opinion is. I refuse to apply to a position that requires one, I’m not going to sit through that crap. Good luck.

1 Like

Sounds like a fairly common experience. I expect you will be given at least one more shot. Applicants are routinely accused of not coming clean in an attempt to get you to “confess” to something. But as long as they didn’t accuse you of using countermeasures, you should be given another chance.

1 Like

Thats good to know. They did not accuse of using counter-measures, although I don’t know if that is something they have to tell you or if they can just say it in a report without letting you know they are doing it.

I think there is indeed a chance you’ll be invited back for another polygraph session. With the CIA and NSA, this usually happens the following day, however, and is possibly followed up with a third session at a later date.

The truthful answer you provided when your polygrapher asked what you know about polygraphs apparently disturbed him. It showed that you are at least somewhat familiar with the process (CIA and NSA applicants are routinely subjected to multiple polygraph sessions; multiple sessions seems to be becoming more common with other agencies as well). It likely raised concern that you might also know about polygraph procedure and countermeasures, which would foil the ability of the polygrapher to persuade you that the polygraph can read your mind.

1 Like

I see, thats interesting to hear. Could it be considered counter-measures that I mentioned what I know about polygraphs? The polygrapher never actually mentioned or accused me of using counter-measures, and last I heard its not illegal to ask others about their experiences with polygraphs.

It seems quite unlikely to me that that would be the case.