Honesty vs Dream Job

Received a dream job offer from the DOJ pending a TS background check. Filling out SF 86 this week.

Made some regrettable college choices with drug use. MJ regularly for about 2 years (up until 6 months ago) and experimenting with cocaine, shrooms, and Adderall once each during my freshman year.

Family and friends suggest lying, but I want to be honest. So tough to see job slip away because of poor judgement years ago. Can anyone reassure me about taking the high road? Is there a chance of approval if I’m upfront about my past?

Just be honest. Lots of people experiment in college.
It’s not an automatic dealbreaker, especially if you haven’t done drugs in the last 2 years.

1 Like

If you choose to lie, it’s a deal breaker (and trust me, it may not be found out on this investigation, but it will always come back to bite you) Intentionally providing misinformation during a federal investigation is a crime. I am not trying to scare you. There is always a chance that you’ll be approved being honest. It’s a fact that if you lie on this background you will have to continue lying until you no longer hold a clearance.

1 Like