How Far Back question

I received a tentative job offer from the Department of Veterans Affairs for the position of "Social Worker (HUD/VASH)". The job listing states the the Security Clearance is "Public Trust - Background Investigation". My question is this: How far back will they investigate my employment history?

The FEDERAL SECURITY/SUITABILITY CLEARANCE CHART says the past 5 years for the BI, but I've also seen 7 years on some of the SF forms. My employment history is solid for the past 5 1/2 years, but somewhat checkered because of a job I was fired from 6 1/2 years ago, followed by a 1 year period of being on unemployment while working part-time. Many thanks for any help!

You are required to list information going back 7 years and the scope of investigation where they will go out and verify with the employer is 5 years. Ensure you disclose the termination on the SF85P/OF-306, otherwise you will give the appearance of being dishonest.

Thank you for your response. That was very helpful.

What do you mean by "the scope of investigation where they will go out and verify with the employer is 5 years"? What will be different about how they verify with more recent employers versus the ones that go back 6 or 7 years ago?

One last question. I haven't been asked to fill out SF85P yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon. Do I go back 7 years from the date I'm asked to fill it out? There's a job that's right on the cusp of 7 years ago give or take a month, so that's why I'm asking.

I intend to fully disclose everything they ask about me; nothing more and nothing less.

The question requires you disclose information 7 years from the day you are signing the EQIP certification form.