Investigator Churn and Burn

Thank you for the response. I’m retired law enforcement, and while that gives us a unique skill set, it also binds us to this line of work (or something similar). So far (with all the delays uncertainty about having a job) this foray into the BI field has been a really bittersweet experience which is causing me to consider another career avenue.

Unless the BI process goes back to DSS (rumor), and the process is radically overhauled, this is no longer a job for anyone except a kid out college or the Army willing to put up with the stress and crap for a job making $18-$20/hour. It is no longer a job for former LEOs. Many former LEOs that I know who started the job after 2012 lasted less than a couple months before quitting.

Thank you so much for your candor, this is really enlightening!

Sadly, got email this week saying our phone TESIs now $148 due to “lack of fieldwork” needing to be done :clown_face:. BS! 25 percent reduction in pay!!! This is a pure money grab and insulting. Still do ALL the work but not the travel…What next? Any phone work, like with a Source, will be reduced in pay rate?

So, do you get paid by the task? I know they changed the rules lately allowing some Source interviews to be done by phone but I didn’t realize that involved TESIs too.

@IHateRZs

Who is the vendor you are with? And they told you because of the workload being low they are paying less? Sounds like they are taking advantage of or are trying to take advantage of CI’s. Really distasteful and disrespectful to the CI field if that is what they are doing. I hope CI’s tell them to take a hike if that is who is doing this.

2 Likes

I would love to know what company too. That is a pure money saving move.

It would have to be Perspecta, I would think. ISN IC’s are all with CACI and they are Zero Hour (at least I think they are). The other one hasn’t changed their teli $$ as of yet. Key word is as of yet… I’m not sure how 1Force is set up, but I would think they would also drop theirs too if Perspecta was doing it.

I wish everyone good luck. I am tired of getting screwed every which way so that upper management can get their bonus checks, burn the company to the ground, then move on to another prime and rinse and repeat the process.

1 Like

What does zero hour mean

Someone with first hand knowledge may be able to chime in, but as it was explained to me when I was going through the onboarding (until I got the —oops, no work in your area. so sorry… phone call). A zero hour employee is paid per hour. There are no requirements to work 20 hours per week or to work any cases. You have no benefits (that I know of) and are paid per hour(s) spent on the case. So just like a FT , you would track windshield time, interview time, admin time, typing etc and submit the time to the appropriate pay strings. I believe that there is paid mileage also (again not sure). And taxes are withheld. So it’s not really a part time employee and not really a 1099. Again this is all to my knowledge, I could be wrong on it.

1 Like

Apparently reduction for a particular zone, it was clarified. Not all phone TESIs. Concept remains same; odd way to try to recoup money lost on backs of CIs.

More like a test program to see how it pans out. If BI’s don’t complain, they will push out for all TESI’s.

Would love to know the company.

@IHateRZs

Why won’t you disclose the company that is employing this type of behavior? What does reduction in pay for a particular zone mean? Does that mean a particular geographical area is only getting less pay?

What’s going on? Clarify and expound please.

If you put something out there like this then disclose the company.

3 Likes

The company is ISN! They have the zero dollar employees. But we all know that they are just contractors. They have to do that because CACI doesn’t allow it. Apparently they have to still check in daily to make sure they have nothing new. They can’t get a job on the side, and can claim unemployment because of their reduction in hours! It sounds a bit shady to me, but people actually agreed to it!

Why would anyone agree to work like that? Especially the part about not being able to work a second job.

1 Like

I have been asking the same question! :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes