Lied about being fired for Air Force clearance. Chances?

Hi guys! I’m currently a nurse practitioner student under scholarship from the Air Force. I have already sworn in and everything. Just a quick question that had me worried.

I was fired from my first ever job when I was a new graduate for failing to meet new grad parameters. I was ashamed of that past (4 years ago). I had 2 jobs later which I never had any problems for incompetency. I have even acted as a preceptor to students, new graduates, and experienced staff new to the hospital.

So I lied about being fired on my SF-something form. I had my interview, initially told him the same thing until at the very last part he told me a flag came up stating that I was fired. I tried to come up with a reason, then finally gave in and told him the truth. I told him that the reason why I did that was because I was ashamed as well as the facts from above plus perhaps some immaturity being that it was my first ever job. Everything else I told him was the absolute truth.

Any idea how this will affect my chances for getting an Air Force security clearance for medical professionals?

Also, how long will I have to wait normally to hear something back on any decisions?

I don’t know what your chances of being cleared are but based on what you wrote:

-You put down knowingly false information on a National Security Clearance Questionnaire,
-You knowingly signed an affidavit on the eQuip attesting that the information you provided was complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge (a felony BTW)
-You then knowingly provided false information to a federal investigator with intent to deceive (another felony), and then
-Finally admitted the conduct when, and only when, you were presented with evidence against you.

Frankly, it doesn’t look very good to me but then again, I am not an adjudicator. Repeated lack of candor looks really bad.

3 Likes

Everything written above is true but they also take into account the seriousness of the issue, the circumstances surrounding the firing and your age at the time.

You would have been FAR better off coming completely clean during this process. You didn’t which means that you now have to hope for the best and be prepared to defend your action to the extent that you can. Go read the adjudication guidelines and start to think about the mitigating factors that might come in to play.

Ah, I see. Thank you for being frank with me 1110. I appreciate that.

If in fact you were terminated for performance rather than misconduct, your omission will likely be developed through the BI process as non-material. Meaning, it probably won’t enter the criminal realm (good for you). @1110 - in order for an incident to be prosecuted under 18 USC 1001 the misrepresentation, omission, or falsification must be material.

Nevertheless, you did lie to an investigators face (not good). You didn’t come clean until confronted (also not good). The worst that is going to happen, in my opinion, is that you will be denied a clearance and be out of a job.

I also wanted to add that the best case scenario for you is the omission/falsification is determined to be non-material (which to me it sounds like it is) and your clearance is granted.

Stay positive and learn from your mistake, we are all human and we all make them. Going forward be brutally honest on any SF form and you should have no issues.

Thank you dave019 for being honest with me as well, as is EdFarmerIll. Honestly, that best case scenario you just provided me will be my source of comfort over the next few months as I await my judgement on my mistake, knowing full well the chances are 50/50. I guess I just wanted to know if there was ever a chance at all of passing through this despite what I did. I also seemed to recall that my investigator said that this was ‘mild’ and ‘not to worry’ too much about it. I don’t know if that says anything, but I’ll try to stay positive.

Yes, there are people who have lied during the security clearance process, been confronted, and still favorably adjudicated. Remember, adjudicators use the “whole-person concept” when determining suitability, not just one bad action.

check this out: http://jagdefense.com/resource-docs/ISCR-Case-No.-06-03367.pdf

1 Like

Moving forward…adulting time. Own what you did. You no longer get a pass for being youthful. 1110 said it best above.

What was the outcome of this did you end up getting your clearance

They pretty much cleared me.

1 Like

“Pretty much”? What does that mean? I assume you mean cleared, but had to sign an acknowledgment letter? One is either cleared, or not. Or more correctly, one either has eligibility or not.

1 Like

so did you get your clearance? I think that’s what amber bunny is referring to

They cleared me. Meaning the investigation ended without issues at the conclusion. They neither brought it up with me or gave me any notification. I received my security clearance.

1 Like

They obviously felt it did not detract from what you had to offer. The adjudication is what counts. They cleared you. Welcome to the Air Force…retired myself.