Mental Health mitigation

On the SF-86 you’ll need to report under Section 21 - Psychological and Emotional Health. No one can tell you with 100% certainty that you will or will not get a clearance. However, you should also note that under section 21 there is a disclaimer stating that mental health counseling is not in and of itself a reason to deny a clearance. With that being said, just report the incident, if you conceal it and it is discovered throughout the investigation now you have a serious issue instead of a 5 year old issue involving hospitalization and a domestic dispute…

As @dave019 noted, there is a disclaimer on the form. Also, there are exceptions on the form. Based on your recent post, I would be more likely than not to report it on the form just to err on the side of cautious. If anything, I would rather to report it than to be hit with a perceived “lack of candor”.

I am getting the feeling that you may be unfamiliar with the process, especially the “whole-person” concept. Adjudicators make their decisions based on that concept. Adjudicators know that we all make mistakes and we are not perfect. So, they are looking for patterns that can show a person is a potential security risk (ie: numerous DUI’s, multiple arrests, etc.). Even with those patterns, the person has an opportunity to tell his/her side of the story (mitigating factors).

As you may have noticed by reading the posts on this side, no one can tell you with definitive answer whether you will be granted clearance or not only an adjudicator who reviews your file can.

If you are still unsure, I suggest you to consult a security clearance attorney, read up DOHA cases, and/or look up the desk reference that I mentioned earlier.

Sean M. Bigley retired from the practice of law in 2023. Anyone purporting to be them online is fraudulent.