New privacy act statement

Any nerds reading the new privacy act verbatim to every poor subject? I would be very eager to watch someone read the whole federalregister.gov URL that is part of the statement.

The power move would be for the investigator to bring an intern to the ESI (yes, of course, against the rules) just to read the verbatim privacy act statement and other lengthy passages that are supposed to be read word for word.

1 Like

I can’t read the privacy act, the CUI coversheets are covering up everything and protecting this information from my prying eyes.

2 Likes

I need a new time string to charge all the extra time it’s taking me.

1 Like

Had my first Subject ask for a copy today.

Couldn’t believe he actually paid attention.

4 Likes

I plead the fifth lol

1 Like

We were told the URL was the only part we don’t read - i do read the rest. I’ve adjusted the other required briefing statements since the new PA covers a couple of them.

I still have a hard time not being sarcastic when reading aloud the PA statement. This is the same process where most Subject’s don’t care enough to read the SF86 (or SF85) questions past the first sentence before making their response.

Perhaps next, we will return to reading the questionnaire questions verbatim adding an explanation for the requirements, during the Subject interview.

2 Likes

We had an email sent out that specifically stating that we are to read the entire statement to include the full url.

I genuinely wonder what the subjects think of this…it is a good way to get their minds wondering to what they are going to have for dinner before we even start the interview…

4 Likes

Got to love how they tell the Feds one thing then the contractors something different. I don’t miss being a contractor when i read about this stuff.

3 Likes

This whole new process is ridiculous and way too long…forms over forms, as well as taking too much time. I guess we are not under a paper reduction act any longer.

1 Like

These standardized long drawn out read verbatim statements just further reduce any sort of credibility or sense of importance or legitimacy in this job. Subject’s are listening to us during that portion just as much as well as they are read the software update update agreements each time their computer updates. I think they should implement some additional sort of form at the ESI that has all this information on it that they read sign and give back to us before we begin the ESI.

6 Likes

You actually read those out loud??

2 Likes

Currently required to read them aloud to the Subject and annotate that you read the statement in your notes.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. Speaking a bunch of legal-ese at the start of an interview signals “this is just all a BS legal procedure to check the boxes for the federal govt” and conditions them to pay less attention during the interview and to overall take the process less seriously.

Completely laughable that the agency charged with vetting the federal workforce has such a terrible grasp on human nature and on how people think, but this is the logical consequence of letting bureaucrats and lawyers run the show and ignoring the feedback of the people with practical, boots on the ground experience, so I can’t say I’m surprised.

7 Likes

Agreed! Especially since they are given the Privacy Act when they complete their security questionnaire and they sign off there that they read it. There is no reason whatsoever that we shouldn’t be able to go back to simply reminding them that the Privacy Act statement that they signed when they completed the security questionnaire applies to the interview as well, and then just offering them a copy of the statement if they want to re-read it. By the time I’m done all of these statements before the interview, the Subject is already checked out.

3 Likes