Old Deliquent Debt Not Paid

Hi,

I’m going through TS/SCI investigation for the DIA as a contractor and wanted to know what my chances are. I have less $4k in delinquent debt which is 5 in total for credit card that’s like over 4 years old. I paid one of them off in garnishment back in 2020. I haven’t made any attempts to pay but I told my investigator that I’m working on my current debt that’s not delinquent and build enough savings to be able to pay off the delinquent and I know it has been years but it has been a year now at my current job and I was able to pay off a lot of accounts that was in collection.

If you told all this to your employer and they still submitted you for the clearance, you’re probably fine as I doubt they would bother if they felt you might get denied.

For your delinquent debt that you haven’t made any attempt to pay off, have you called the creditor and told them what’s going on? There’s a very good chance they would work out a deal with you to allow you to pay what you can and take it out of delinquency immediately. Even if you offer to pay $20/month, they might accept that. They would rather get something than nothing.

You may get cleared but DIA is not doing many adjudications right now so it probably wont regardless of issue.