Public Trust Re-investigation

Not to mention almost my whole organization in the agency had a re-investigation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Definitely keep us updated!

How does the review process work at the adjudication level for public trust? What I mean is, if unfavorable, how many “2nd opinions/reviews” are there? My agency has a union which Im part of - at which point would the union be able to step in on my behalf?

From my reading of our employee handbook, a DUI isn’t something I can be fired for since there is no “Nexus” between my job function and a DUI. Even though I didn’t actually smoke the pot - I may as well have if I get fired for it haha (just kidding!) - I got a ticket which was dismissed, but I did admit to accepting it that night - the handbook says for drug offenses it would start with a warning (which I’m guessing was the letter) and progresses to suspension of 7/14 days, 21 days, and removal. Management guidelines have a fairly wide span of options after the initial infraction (for 2nd…3rd offenses). I’m an “analyst” so no gun or driving or any type of law enforcement - it’s a “civilian” agency.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

It seems like you’re mixing up security issues with your unions collective bargaining agreement. I can’t imagine that your union can have anything to say about your clearance. While the CBA might prevent you from being fired over a DUI because it “has nothing to do with your job”, it’s not true that a DUI has nothing to do with your clearance and I’m very sure that your union will be be able to save your job if you lose your clearance.

You need to worry about your clearance and then your job should take care of itself.

Thanks Ed. That makes sense. Not sure how true that is, but makes sense. Public Trust isn’t a clearance, but I understand your point.

From what my boss said, there have been quite a few others who have had DUIs, they are still working.

Well, 3.5 yrs since the incident when I submitted the e-quip; I’m guessing like others, I should be ok, fingers crossed. Will have to just wait it out. Easy come easy go…

Thanks all.

Since I’m still waiting around - @backgdinvestigator - could you kindly give your thoughts? Much appreciated!

I rarely take a stab at adjudication questions because adjudication is very complex and I don’t have all of the record and personal testimony information.

My experience is that the clean cases and “no way gonna pass” cases get adjudicated quickly (one way or the other). The vast majority of cases fall into the “gotta try and figure this one out” category.

1 Like

It’s also important to remember that we do not have a generally representative group here. Not a lot of our members (at least the one ASKING questions) went through this process quickly and smoothly. The vast majority of members here have already been waiting for some time by the time they even find this site. Personally, I was past a year on my SF-86 before I came here.

Thanks for the response. If you have to take your stab at it?..

Above 830 credit score, only thing on record is the DUI (the marijuana arrest which happened during the same arrest was expunged - but I was forthright and admitted everything from the 1st day I could). No foreign contacts that should cause any hiccups. And basically everything else is solid from what I can tell.

Also, the person from employee investigations has replied back to my email and stated that the case has been sitting in a backlog of cases to review. So it went from investigation to adjudication (back at end of Nov) and it’s been sitting in que ever since then…

Well folks, I promised to that I would report back - good or bad.

Re-investigation completed with a favorable adjudication!

I don’t think anyone said I had anything to worry about except for one post that said it’s in the adjudicators hands… however there was a constant cloud over my head since I learned about re-investigations starting back in August 2018.

Estimated timeline for those who care:

-Aug 2018 our agency is made aware of re-investigations

-Feb 2019 I submit my E-quip

-Mar 2019 I have a phone interview

-Apr 2019 a follow-up interview confirming I finished all the requirements of my DUI and some other questions about my foreign contacts (my grandma, some uncles/aunts from a “friendly” nation)

-Dec 2019 agency gets file from OPM for adjudication

-Apr 14th 2020 - I get the letter it’s adjudicated favorably

Even though I never smoked the pot, and my BAC was under .08, I’m never getting close to pot again and Ubering my @$$ everywhere!

This July will be 10yrs as a fed!

Many thanks to all of you who so kindly posted their feedback!

Goodbye