Recent discharge, hope for clearance job?

Was recently charged with larceny and failure to obey an order. Took a plea and got discharged with an oth and agreement to pay back money. I served for 9 years with no other bad conduct on my record and even in prior civilian life didn’t do anything wrong just made a stupid mistake and I’m owning up to it. My question is I had a TS/SCI clearance would I be able to apply for another one with any job? Any advice is welcome.

I wouldn’t try for anything with the IC!

Unfamiliar with “oth.” I would think it something that must be reported on the SF86. But you can be crossed over to a sponsor without an SF86. Mind you they can always do a quick records check and deem you unqualified, or require you to have a re-investigation initiated. Be up front and candid. I would like to hear from other FSO’s and the BI folks on people submitted with minor arrests. I have successfully submitted several with DUI’s. I have had several employees get a DUI charge while cleared. Those I know won’t normally cause a revocation. But I would like to hear more on success rate of larceny charges and the like. I took a chance on a felony that was 10 plus years old. He did not clear. But he may have been untruthful on the Polygraph. I would like to hear from those who successfully cleared a person with a felony. Had a call recently from one person who served 8 years in prison 14 years prior. I honestly do not believe I could get him cleared even after living a stellar life since. Some obstacles are just too big to overcome.

OTH is “Other Than Honorable,” which is, in military terms, a bad form of discharge, rating just a bit higher than “Dishonorable,” which is the very worst. I don’t recall how an OTH affects your vet benefits, but I am almost certain that having it is likely to influence at least some employers in the DOD, who will ask that very question. I served in Command roles in the military, which doesn’t make me an expert, but I did see soldiers with OTH discharges (usually for making a really bad decision to do something they knew was a bad idea, like assault, domestic violence, etc). https://themilitarywallet.com/types-of-military-discharges/

Not to sound overly pessimistic, but an OTH or DD in your record is very hard to overcome. Not impossible, per se, but it can be a real obstacle to some employers. Having said all of that, I am neither an SC attorney, nor any sort of legal representative. Please check with someone more well versed in this area.

Amber . . . “oth” is an “other than honorable” discharge. This most certainly will have to be reflected in a new SF86. What I don’t know is how his discharge will affect his current clearance. I would think that this incident kicked off an review and I would expect a revocation but I admit that I don’t know for certain.

There is insufficient information provided… While larceny is usually a misdemeanor, it can be considered a felony in some jurisdictions. If it is felony, then you will have a hard time find an employment as you will be untouchable for some time.

Nonetheless, I think you need to find out your clearance status which will play a major factor. You can either submit a privacy act request or have someone (usually FSO) check for you. If your “profile” is not flagged, then you should be good. If it is flagged, you are in for a long haul and the wind can blow both ways… The toughest part during that ordeal will be finding a company to sponsor you.