Security Clearance Denied with CIA - Can I become an Officer?

Hey Community,

So in a previous thread, I talked about how I got a clearance denial with the CIA for a TS/SCI Full Scope Polygraph. After weighing some options, I think I’d really like to go into the military (perhaps Navy).

Would I be qualified to go as an Intelligence Officer with the Navy? Or would I even be able to do something that only required a Secret?

Thanks for your thoughts. This is a rough time and would love to hear the opinions of the community.

1 Like

Some issues that cause a clearance denial can be mitigated with time. For example, drug use can be mitigated if time has passed since last use; increased amounts/frequency may take more time. A change of life circumstances (eg, I was a dumb kid when I used drugs but now I am responsible and have a job etc etc etc). That’s just one example. Some financial issues can also be mitigated over time if there are no further debt problems.

Not knowing the reasons behind your recent denial, it is too hard to say if you could get a position in the armed forces that requires a clearance. But if you do try to go that route, be sure to disclose all the information on your forms.

Thanks for the information.

I am concerned about putting out identifying info, but I was denied for smoking marijuana once in over 3 years ago and failing to report it on my SF-86. This came out during my polygraph session which felt like an interrogation. The crazy thing is that my polygraph admission was in 2014. But then I received my denial earlier in 2017. So frustrated. But hope this doesn’t harm my chances for future agencies.

Oh wow, so you waited from 2014 to 2017 to receive an answer from the employer? That is crazy. I would be honest and open about everything that has happened. I noticed that most agencies don’t really dawn on all the things you have done in the past, but rather if you are honest about it or not. Give it a shot and see where it leads to.

If you don’t mind I have a few questions. Were you in adjudication the entire time from 2014 to 2017? Are you able to post your time frame of when each process occurred?

Go ahead and apply. I am a retired Naval Officer and although they would prefer that you never smoked pot I am willing to bet that the time period is sufficient to waiver it. Just be up front about it and ask.

There are not a lot of direct accessions to Intel. Usually you had to do a different warfare area and then apply for transfer to Intel but things may have changed in the past few years. All officers require a secret clearance but I didn’t have to get TS/SCI for several years based on my specialty. Good luck.

Yeah, adjudication was pretty much 2.5 years.

Thank you for the insight! I am going to try and make something happen soon.

2.5 years for a denial? I can’t believe you waited that long. I haven’t heard of anyone getting a denial after being in adjudication for that long. It seems like they could have denied you a lot sooner than that. I’m sorry man that really sucks.

Yeah… quite the disappointment…