Sf86 and property tax

Federal employee almost 20 years. Currently have a secret clearance. Was informed yesterday that I need to resubmit a SF86 due to needing a T3 now. Secret was good until 2022.

So the question I have is about tax debit. I owe property taxes on my house. I have a plan to get them caught up totally in the next two years and pay current bill as well.

I had a really crappy life over the past few years. I am finally at the point I have a plan. House fire 2013. Divorce 2015 (ended getting stuck with all the debit joint property state and he just stopped working) had a child that just turned 3 and will be having her 3 and 4 surgery in the next month. No support or assistance for her. Other child is adult on disability (seemed disable as a child). So I can explain why I have my debit.

The question I have regarding taxes. Everything I read talks about state and federal taxes. Nothing about property tax owed to a city. Do I have to disclose it when I have to answer the question about taxes?

There are several questions, including debt gone to collections, debt over 120 days delinquent in the last seven years, seems like you will have ample opportunity to list and disclose.

When you say “I have a plan to get them caught up totally…” - I think the important question here is - does the taxing authority in question know about this plan? i.e. Is 1) there a formally acknowledged and structured plan (in writing) between you and them that is ongoing, or 2) is this plan all in your head. Because the reality and the optics on 1 and 2 are very, very different. Wouldn’t you agree?

If it’s 1 - I think most folks on here would agree with me, and a search of the threads on here about similar issues will bear this out. And this is that if you explain your circumstances and how you are responsibly addressing them, you will likely be OK. To simply state that you have good intentions to pay it some day, or far worse - to not disclose it at all could have results ranging from very poor to catastrophic, in each respective instance.

I can’t remember, but I think eqip wording just says “taxes or fees”, or some such, and does not specify “federal” etc.

NET: if you’re not in a formal repayment agreement - get in one before you fill that thing out. And finally - if I took ONE thing away from discussions with friends who’d gone through the process and this website (and I got a LOT more than that) it would be - disclose, disclose, disclose.

The failure to pay federal, state, and local taxes is just one part of the issue. and is reportable to your security office/officer if you have a clearance.

Too many in here get caught up in the specifics of the SF86 question. The intent/origin of the financial questions is the adjudication standards. Tax avoidance, like any debt, can be a warning signal of irresponsibility or possible coercion bait. As LSCIFW stated “:disclose, disclose, disclose”. Surprises in the investigation rarely workout in your favor.

You are already behind the Personal Conduct adjudication standard (self-reporting) if you have not already warned your security office and you have a T3 national security position. You need to do this immediately.

LSCIFW gave good advice. Have a written agreement with the debt holders and stick to it. Have already started the plan before your Subject interview (and you will have one with these popping up on your credit report). Be honest about your finances and how you intend to correct the issue.

Be aware, if you are granted a renewal, your Agency (and CAF) will pull a credit report every few months until the issue is resolved. Mine is a trust but verify profession.

My goal is actually to have most of the tax debit paid off in two years with the agreement I discussed with them. Actually I don’t even get tax bills due to my exhusband filing chapter 13 after the divorce. They are not allowed to send bills until the chapter 13 is discharged. It also means they can’t do a written agreement because of the chapter 13 laws. Which just means the taxes will be due in full when the chapter 13 done. I am trying to have them all paid in full before that discharge happens. He filed the chapter 13 before his name was removed so the house is tied up in the chapter 13.

For my daughter medical bills it is about 5000. She was finally approved for state insurance due to her complex medical conditions. So I don’t have to pay the copayment which has given me lots more disposal income. I am actually leaning toward taking a loan out of my TSP just to pay it off. So I can put more money toward the taxes.

Yes. I self reported the chapter 13 even though it was filed solely in his name. Also my command knows about the medical bills.

I guess I am just confused on why I am doing the clearance over. I have a level 2 secret which is what my job needs. I was told because it’s a NACLC not a T3.

I have to have an interview anyways. My brother is married to a foreign national. He is a Marine who was stationed in Okinawa. Married a local. He stayed after his term was up. He got a job as a IT on base and she is a DOD teacher.

Than in itself takes my clearances months to get approved. Which I can never understand why. Lol

The reporting part is the most important.

Chapter 13 has a built in plan that actually saves you headaches as long as you are following the plan.

Your brother’s marriage to a Japanese citizen should be a minor speed bump (not months) in your case, unless the in-law is involved with the Japanese (or any other foreign) government. DoDDS teachers don’t normally fall under the foreign government employment concern.

The bankruptcy will trigger a subject interview - not a “regular” Japanese in-law.

Bring your divorce decree with the debt split information, your copy of the bankruptcy and current trustee report, and any other correspondence with the court/trustee. This will help during your interview. Please understand the investigator can’t accept any court/bankruptcy court records directly from you (we have to get those from the courts) - but can accept copies of the supporting documents for your case.

Good luck on your interview.