Tax question on SF86

Hi All, I am new here, been reading for a few days and now want to ask a question myself.

This is related to the SF86 Tax question.

here is my situation.

1. For 2011 tax year, did not file my NJ state taxes. Filled out the forms, just did not send it or got lost in the mail, not sure. This was a refund. in 2015 realized that taxes were not filed (because of a notice from another state tax audit), found copies of paperwork, and filed.

2. For 2015 tax year, filed PA state income tax on time, did not pay on time (Forgot most likely). State sent notice, paid in full as soon as I got the notice (November).

3. For 2018 tax year (this year) paid PA property taxes late. Did not realize I did not pay them until state sent a notice, paid immediately in full.

As of now I am signed up for e-Billing and ACH withdrawal to avoid this in the future.

Do I answer in the affirmative that I did not File/Pay taxes on the SF86?

Thank you in advance!

As I have said elsewhere, I don’t think that reporting this will present an issue for your clearance. You made errors (although consistently forgetting to pay state taxes can draw attention) and you corrected them as soon as notified. I would report it, describe the issue and be prepared with documentation.

1 Like

Thank you! That is what I was thinking.
I am also concerned about the pattern.

The question reads, “In the past seven (7) years have you failed to file or pay Federal, state, or other taxes when required by law or ordinance?”

You would have to answer in the affirmative. There’s a pattern here that could paint you as a tax cheat.

A link to some case studies here: https://news.clearancejobs.com/2014/03/14/tale-two-tax-cheats-doha-hearings/