Should I Continue To Move Forward?

All,
I recently had three phone interviews in the past three weeks for GS-12 jobs with Dept. of Interior (NPS and BLM). Here’s the straight poop. A month ago I plead guilty to a Domestic Violence and DWAI charge, my first in both cases, and first ever for any crime in my record. I am 52 and was a FED with USDA for 10 years before leaving Federal Service. My question is, based on the three positions clearance levels, should I even bother moving forward should I be offered a position? One is listed as Security Clearance “Confidential” and the other two are listed as “non-sensitive/low risk” with either a security clearance “none” or security clearance “Other”. Is my goose cooked no matter what?
Thanks
M

Domestic Violence conviction is hard to overcome for but what have you to lose? Can’t get the job if you don’t try…

Thanks Defender66,
Maybe I didn’t phrase my question correctly. I was wondering if anyone out there has a feel for which Security Levels, like those I mentioned in my post, might take me unequivocally ineligible? I realize that Secret and Top Secret are out, but as an Ecologist those positions would not be of interest or relevant to my line of work. Make sense? Thanks agin for your response. If anyone else is willing to chime in I’d appreciate hearing from you.
Regards,
M

The standards for adjudication are the same for all investigation types. The depth and effort the federal government goes to dig into your past in the basic difference. These are “wide stroke” statements but in general, the concerns about domestic violence behavior is the same regardless of the position.

An investigation type makes you eligible for low, medium, high risk public trust or national security position. Medium and high risk positions involved detailed background investigations.

Thanks backgdinvestigator,
I think this adds “wide stroke” clarity to my question. I am trying to gain a better handle on this issue because two of the positions I have recently interviewed for have been classified as “non-sensitive”, “low risk”, and hence I was inquiring about if there might possibly be greater “lenience” used in assessing the degree of my transgression (i.e., attempted 3rd degree assault with a deferred sentence judgement). For example, This is my first criminal conviction ever, so I was hoping that maybe that would be taken into account in the adjudication process as well as my clearance status as a previous USDA employee of 10 years with no criminal activity. However, based on your statement about adjudication standards I am led to believe there are no distinctions in the sense that all convictions for DV are viewed with the same level of concern.
Regards,
M

They are viewed with the same level of concern, but always with a review of the circumstances around the incident and any mitigating factors. The whole person concept means that your past counts, but so does the present.

A DV misdemeanor conviction for a low risk nonsensitive position is not disqualifying. Circumstances will be looked at but it and of itself should not prevent you from getting a job.

backgdinvstigator and Marko,
Thanks to both of you for the information, very insightful. I appreciate your willingness to write about this situation and security questions in general that show up here.
I will move forward with full compliance on the background check/investigation should I be fortunate enough to be offered a position.
Regards,
M

Hi all,
Following on the previous questions I posted on this thread I wanted to ask a follow up question. After going through two interviews I was offered, and accepted, a position with the BLM out of Denver. Five days ago I filled out the OF-306 form on-line after I received and accepted the Tentative Offer. I was told I should expect to hear back in 3 days regarding the next steps in the process. Fingerprinting, photo, ID badge, etc. While I haven’t heard back yet, I’m wondering if information regarding my recent criminal convictions, as I detailed in two previous posts on this thread, could lead to a withdraw of the tentative Offer? The Position Sensitivity is classified as “Low Risk/Non-Sensitive”. In researching the BI level, it appears that I will be asked to submit an SF-85. Although the OF-306 asks about criminal activity (e.g., convictions), which I reported with full transparency, the SF-85 appears not to have any criminal record questions on it, which seems odd to me. I realize a Criminal Background check/investigation will be conducted regardless. My question is,"Can the information provided on the OF-306 be grounds for withdrawing the tentative job offer prior to moving forward with the “official” background investigation? For example, is it reasonable to expect that my would-be supervisor, who has made it clear she wants to hire me, and with whom I’ve spoken with during both a panel and in a one-on-one interview format, will have access to the OF-306 criminal history record? In this case, upon seeing my criminal activity record is it the supervisor’s prerogative to rescind the tentative job offer based on said information? Apologies for being so long winded.
Thanks