US Army Officer Security Clearance

Hello! I’m applying to an officer role and my desired MOS requires a secret security clearance. I’m currently a civilian applying for a warrant officer role.

The question on the security clearance questionnaire reads:

“Have you ever had any criminal conduct? (moving or non moving violations, shoplifting, DUIs, theft, or any other violation or warning from the police) Please list all violations.”

I have a clean record and have never been charged with a violation, misdemeanor, or felony. However, while I was in high school I tagged/shoplifted a few times. Should I report these incidents even though I was never charged and they went undetected? Thank you!

I’m sure some investigators will chime in, but if you were a minor at the time and there were never any charges or any interaction with the police, I’d leave it off.

2 Likes

Criminal conduct is for 7 year timeframe unless it’s a felony, alcohol , drug, firearm, or explosive related than it’s “ever”. I’d leave it off and forget about it.

1 Like

I would do as the question says. If it says “ever” I would take it to mean “ever”. If it asks for criminal “conduct” and not charges or convictions then I would take it to mean “conduct”. These questions are written to be literal and not up for interpretation. - an investigator opinion

1 Like

Are you sure that question is on the security questionnaire? Or could it be a document for your military application? Wording you posted doesn’t sound like an SF-86 question.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for everyone has contributed to this topic! I appreciate the help greatly.

I’m also wondering about the previous investigations portion - section 25. Would a previous Peace Officer application background check count as a previous investigation in the terms of the SF-86 question? I think it doesn’t since Police/Sheriff isn’t consider US Gov but would like some additional input. The question reads:

25.1 Has the U.S. Government (or a foreign government) EVER investigated your background and/or granted you a security clearance eligibility/access?

Provide the investigating agency:
U.S. Department of Defense
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Federal Bureau of Investigation
U.S. Department of Treasury (Provide name of bureau)
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Foreign government (Provide name of government) I don’t know
Other (Provide explanation)

You are correct, I realized I was not looking at the SF-86 form. The question on the SF-86 form seems to only mention charged and convictions aswell.

1 Like

Previous investigations is asking about investigations where you had to fill out SF85 or SF86 for a public trust, secret clearance, top secret, etc. The peace officer application would not count for this question.

1 Like

This question is not on the SF-86 but if you are interviewed, you will be asked if you have engaged in any criminal activity in the last seven years even if it was not detected.

1 Like